• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Filthy Rich Client: Does it help creating enterprise application UIs?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,

would your book help me in creating UIs for enterprise applications? So far we use JGoodies and our own Swing based framework to get around the single threadness of Swing.

Nevertheless I like to know whether your book has value for being used when developing enterprise application UIs.

Regards,
Darya
[ September 19, 2007: Message edited by: Darya Akbari ]

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Our book would help you work on enterprise UIs in two cases:
- If you need to use Java 2D, in which case our book will help you understand many things about it, especially images
- If you want to "pimp" your UIs

This book is different from Desktop Java Live in that it doesn't teach you how to be productive with Swing. It shows you techniques you can use to make your UIs more appealing. But it requires time. Don't try to do this if you are already beyond your schedule

Darya Akbari
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi,

do I understand you right, that your book is more about art than technical. You guys care more about artful UIs, right ?

I think we definitely could do better here and produce much more brain friendly UIs with some art.

You made me curious

Regards,
Darya

Romain Guy
author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The book is very very technical but with the purpose of implementing artful UIs. For instance, if you design a UI in Photoshop and use special effects like drop shadows and blurs and advanced blending modes, how would you recreate this in Java? Our book teaches you how. And the last chapter gives pointers, ideas and a few examples of how "art" is involved in the creation of a UI. It actually explains how I designed Aerith's UI (http://aerith.dev.java.net) and how I took it from paper to Photoshop to code.

Darya Akbari
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Honestly I think there is nothing real enterprise application related to filthy rich clients. The term confused me a little because to me it hint more of being a Swing based framework that handles common tasks like security and thread handling.

But this thread and my other thread Filthy Rich Client: Is Security Handling an issue? clarified things.

Nevertheless, after viewing your Aerith's UI I'm really impressed about all the fancy stuff that still can polish an application (even an enterprise) and hence attract user's acceptance.

Regards,
Darya
[ September 19, 2007: Message edited by: Darya Akbari ]

Humans and their filthy friendship brings nothing but trouble. My only solace is this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic