• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

How to check for non java applications are opened in Full screen mode?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Folks,
I have to develop an application in java AWT/Swings, which will run on Windows XP and MAC OS (9+ and X).
One of the requirements is that I have to show some pop-ups from system tray on certain events from server(using web services).
Here condition is that if there is any application is running in full screen mode (for example : Movie, photo album, PPT or any other software), then I have to disable the display of the pop-up from system tray. By default the java system tray popups are always shown on top of any opened application, even over the applications which are running in fullscreen. Now I am not able to figure out that how can we check through java programming, if any non java (native) applciation is opened/running in full screen mode, so that I can disable my pop-ups.
I have searched hell lot of forums but no luck yet.
Last option which is available is that create a native language(c, c++) application and check for the full screen and then tell it to java applciation through JNI. But I do not want to go for that unless I find out there is no option available in Java.

Please help.Also though I know that Mac OS 9 is very old, I still need to develop application in it.

Thanks,
riddhi

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Welcome to JavaRanch.

While there are hackish (and platform-specific) ways to find out what other processes/applications are running, finding out whether they're in full-screen mode is not possible in Java. You'll need to use JNI.

Here's some info on using JNI with MRJ (the Java 1.1 implementation used on Mac OS 9), but I doubt you'll get that to work that way you envision. (Mind you, there's no technical reason why it couldn't work in pricinple, but that platform is so limited and obsolete, that that's my hunch.)

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic