• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

2 essential questions on tomcat

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi all,
It's about tomcat.
I've a win98 OS and since my autoexec.bat file is correct (JAVA_HOME, TOMCAT_HOME, CLASSPATH, PATH)
1- How do I know that when I run "startup.bat" in my "c:\tomcat\bin" that tomcat has started properly
2- Also how exactly do I run servlets after starting tomcat
I've spent more than a week trying to figure these darn things out, but the more I read, the more mixed up I get...wierd ha..!
[This message has been edited by Jeffry Cray (edited December 06, 2000).]

Author and all-around good cowpoke
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
When you run startup.bat, do it from a MS-DOS prompt window so you can watch the various messages. Startup.bat will open a second window for Tomcat where you will see various messages. This window stays open as long as Tomcat is running. If this window closes right away, there was probably an error. To run Tomcat in a MS-DOS prompt window that will stay open, take a look at what startup.bat is doing - all it really does is make sure that TOMCAT_HOME is set and then call the tomcat.bat file like:
tomcat start
so if your TOMCAT_HOME is set - use tomcat start
If you see an "out of environment" error, increase the initial environment memory for MS-DOS prompt windows.
When you think it is running ok, with a browser address http://localhost:8080/
(assuming you have not changed the port) this should get you the Tomcat startup page.
Bill

------------------
author of:

Jeffry Cray
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi,
Before I type startup.bat to run tomcat should I disconnect the internet? Note that I'm using tomcat on my personal machine with win98.
Thanks
By the way, your Java2(Exam Cram) which I got from my local bookshop helped me to take my Java Programmers Certification. Thanks for the help

[This message has been edited by Jeffry Cray (edited December 06, 2000).]

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic