• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Invoke JSP? JSDK2.1 & TomCat?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,
I am a newbie to Java Servlet and JSP.
I installed the JSDK2.1 to my PC (OS is Windows NT), and I can run the servlet successfully using: http://localhost:8080/servlet/servletName
But when I try to invoke a jsp1.jsp file which exists under the servlet directory. I got the following error information:
Error: 404
No detailed message
Anything else do I need to install to invoke the jsp file?
I saw many people talk about TomCat here. What's the difference between JSDK2.1 and TomCat (maybe a stupid question )? Can I invoke JSP without TomCat, my hard disk is almost full.
Thanks!

Author and all-around good cowpoke
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
JSDK is NOT the current best way to develop servlets and JSP.
Sun turned over the code to the Apache organization for creation of the "reference" version of servlets and JSP.
JSDK implements the 2.1 version of the servlet API, and as far as I know will not be updated. It also does not implement the current 1.1 version of the JSP API.
Engineers from Sun are working on Tomcat version 4.0 which will implement the 2.3 servlet API and 1.2 JSP API - these add some new goodies you will want to keep up witn.
Bill

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic