• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Popping up MS Word in my application

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,
I am trying to pop up a Word document using my application.I tried it by changing the header info but it opens the Window with the SaveAs dialog box.
Now my requirement is that it should not display the SaveAs Dialog box instead it should directly pop up the Word window containing the rtf text.
Thanks
Swapna

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I think this is not possible. It requires that the MS Word application be installed on the client machine and other configurations are also required. As you cant rely on the client to have these, you should look for a different approach. If you want to just display the contents of the file, i suggest you convert it into html and display it in the browser .

Swapna Chaubey
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi RamKumar,
Thanks for that reply. Actually the Business Requirement could take care of the fact that the Client has Word installed.
My basic problem is to get rid of the Save As Dialog Box. Do u have any solutions for the same. If yes then what are the corresponding Client Side Configuration changes.
Thanks
Swapna

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If i understand you correctly, you also need to alter some of the features in the msword on the client machine. Hmmm...
I say you can't do that.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
It can be done but MS Word will be opened within a browser and will not have the tool bar that we normally see. You can do a search on this forum. There were plenty discussions here regarding the topic.

Swapna Chaubey
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Cameron,
Can u be a bit more specific about where exactly I should search for discussions regarding the same on this forum.
Thanks
Swapna

Saloon Keeper
Android Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Redhat Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Just under the oval buttons on this page is a hyperlink captioned "search". click it and go from there. Try searching for "Content-disposition".
[This message has been edited by Tim Holloway (edited August 27, 2001).]

mocca az
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I still don't understand what would be the purpose of doing that. Disabeling the print or ??? Someone help me understand.

Tim Holloway
Saloon Keeper
Android Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Redhat Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I think Swapna is having a problem in that the goal is to have the user put in a request and have the response show up in a Word document ready to be viewed and/or edited. If the client machine's MIME setup isn't configured that way, instead of displaying the document, the browser will attempt to download it to a file.
That's what the Content-disposition header is for. It allows the server to suggest the preferred disposition of the returned data. It can be made to display what would otherwise be saved as a file or to save into a file what would otherwise be displayed on the screen.

Swapna Chaubey
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I will explain the exact purpose and may be then we can be more clear on the matter. The fact is that I have a button called Preview on my JSP which opens the concerned data to be popped up in a Word Window. Now this is what I wanna accomplish and this has to be accomplished without the Open/SaveAs Dialog box.
Thanks for the concern anyway
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic