• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

What is normal?

pie sneak
Mac VI Editor Ruby
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
The MD has a thread titledHow normal are you? that has a link to a quiz that tells you how "normal" you are.

The quiz has twenty questions and each question has two choices. Answering a question correctly adds 5% to your total score.

The test results do not reveal which questions were right or wrong. Your only result from each test submission is a total percentage.

Problem: I want to know what the test's author thinks is "normal" by the fewest number of test submissions possible. I can not assume that the author is normal or abnormal.

I am allowed to leave questions blank and those questions count as not-normal responses.

Is there a better answer than 20? Why?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I'm just thinking off the top of my head here, but my sense is that the answer is No. Consider a quiz with only two questions; for simplicity, suppose the answers are limited to Yes and No. The best one can do here is guess, so we might as well answer Yes to both questions, and see what percentage results. The worst case is 50%, in which case one has to use another guess to find out which of the two has a Yes answer. That is, it takes a guess to determine whether a particular question has a particular answer, after the initial guess. In the n-question case, changing more than one unknown doesn't help in the worst case, as it might yield no information (if an even number of unknowns are changed), or information that requires no fewer guesses than changing one (as when there is a net gain of only one right answer). So it looks to me like 20 guesses for 20 questions is optimal.

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic