• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Tomcat

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I dunno whether it sounds very stupid to you guys but anyway does anybody know can the free Tomcat server used in production environment. If yes, why do people have to buy those application servers like Weblogic?
thanks in advance

Sheriff
Mac Android IntelliJ IDE Eclipse IDE Spring Debian Java Ubuntu Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Tomcat is the servlet container that is used in the official Reference Implementation for the Java Servlet and JavaServer Pages technologies. It probably is used in many places for production purposes. Application servers like Weblogic provide more services than a servlet container though so the question is somewhat like asking "why would you want to buy a car when you can get an engine for free?"
As for the general question of why would anybody want to pay for something when something else very similar to it can be had for free, well... good question. I wish I knew the answer to that one, too.
Junilu

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by JUNILU LACAR:
Tomcat is the servlet container that is used in the official Reference Implementation for the Java Servlet and JavaServer Pages technologies. It probably is used in many places for production purposes. Application servers like Weblogic provide more services than a servlet container though so the question is somewhat like asking "why would you want to buy a car when you can get an engine for free?"
As for the general question of why would anybody want to pay for something when something else very similar to it can be had for free, well... good question. I wish I knew the answer to that one, too.
Junilu

Why do people pay for Windows when Linux and FreeBSD are free? Probably for the same reason.

Ranch Hand
IntelliJ IDE Java Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I work for a fairly corporate minded company, and I thought I'd share an insight that my direct manager gave me, regarding this issue.

Many of us developers shake our heads and wonder why it is that we pay tens of thousands of dollars for software that has bugs, poor support, horrific documentation and worse... is not 100% standards compliant, even though it says it is.

Then we look at Tomcat, and well... not so buggy, newsgroup support that you can search and see a proper response from, pretty good docs and well, it's the reference implementation. Why wouldn't we use it?

Let's move up the food chain. Let's say (for whatever reason), a production site goes down. It's a catastrophe, and our client is worth $100k a year to us. We will loose money on this if it's not fixed. In other words.. it's a nightmare scenario, and it could happen to anyone.

If we are using Tomcat, who is there at Tomcat Inc. that my manager's manager can talk to? Where is his counterpart? When this needs to escalate beyond the cozy confines of developer to developer, and if it comes down to $$, the upper manager types want *someone* they can get on the phone and cajole, harrass, plead with or threaten with a lawsuit.

As far as I know, Tomcat Inc. doesn't exist in this form. But *every* company that sells a product for money has someone whos job it is to "make things right" (giggle). I think you get what I mean. Some district sales manager, or a director who will either (wow) honestly work with the upper manager types to 'get it done', or at least (more likely) throw a bone to us, in the form of a discount price or free 'support' for next year.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Another great reason for companies using expensive commercial software is so we will all have very high paying jobs.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
This might give you some more info. In future, please post questions regarding Tomcat in Apache/Tomcat forum to get more response.

Matthew Phillips
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Raghav busted us. This does belong in the Apache/Tomcat forum. I will move it there.

And then the flying monkeys attacked. My only defense was this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic