• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Session Out, can not login in problem

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello, I am encountering this problem, please help.
I use IE 5.0, Turbo Linux server 6.0, Tomcat 3.3, my applications are mainly written in servlet/jsp.
I use Form-Based authentification method. So when user tries to access inside the system, the user has to login.
My problem is that if the user does not do anything inside the system, until this session out(done by tomcat I think), then when the user goes back to the entry page and ties to get into the system again, the login form does not come out, and a error code 304 is shown. But when the user pushes the enter button again, the login form comes out! Everytime it is like this, which means user can only see the login screen when he pushes the enter button the second time, I tried refresh etc, it did not help.
I am confused, what is the problem here? and what is the solution?

Ranch Hand
IntelliJ IDE Java Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
304? That's a not-modified message, which should not be interpreted by the browser as an error.

When you say "user tries to get into the system again", how are they doing this?

What I mean is: Did they simply let the session time out, and they're trying to do *anything* after the time-out? Or are they trying to access the 'front' page after the time-out?
Did they use the 'back' button, or type in the URL?

I'm thinking it has to do with caching of the pages, becaues of the 304 'error'.

Stephen Wei
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Dear Mike:
I am sure you are right. It seems What happens is that the user waits for the session out, then try to access the front page again, so the browser still tries to use the old password, and the authentification fails, so the error page comes out.
So it comes to the old story, the server does not know the client session if client does not inform server by logout( I am using servlet2.2, so no sessionBindListener). So I guess I can only tell my client to not wait until session out, or just refresh the screen again before access the front page again. Right?
Thanks.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic