• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Dealing with multi-threading in servlets

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
As I understand it, because of multi-threading, an instance of a servlet is not thread-safe, or rather the instance variables on the class are not thread-safe.
But when I use a bean in a servlet I have to instantiate it, so surely each thread of in the servlet gets its own instance of the bean and the instance variables are therefore thread-safe?
Any comments, like what have I missed?
thanks
Adam

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
As long as you dont use non-static instance variables at the instance level, you'll be safe. You should declare all of your variables inside the methods of the servlet, and each thread accessing your servlet will always get a freash copy of the variables within the method.
SAF

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If you have a servlet that is accessing a common variable just use

synchronized(this){
.. code blah
.. code blah
}
This means that if a thread enters this block of code, no other thread can enter this block.
OR
You could implement the singleThreadModel by using the following script..
<%@ page isThreadSafe="false" %>
THis indicates that your code is not thread safe and the resuting servlet should implement SingleThreadedModel. Implementing the SingleThreadModel is fine for low traffic sites but for the higher traffic sites, there will be a definite performance hit.

It is important to note that the following is the default ..
<%@ page isThreadSafe="true" %>
Which means that what ever thread that enters your code, it assumes that your code is synchronized or thread safe

I hope this helps.
[ February 07, 2002: Message edited by: Steven Kors ]

Adam Hardy
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
So far so good. But what if I have a big loop in the servlet, and a variable inside the method of the servlet which gets a new instance of a bean during execution of the method, how about the instance variables in the Bean?
Say two HTTP requests come in simultaneously, then two threads get started in the instance of the servlet.
Each thread instantiates its own copy of the bean, correct?
So the instance variables in the bean should be thread-safe, because each instance of the bean is instantiated and then garbage collected inside the method of the servlet.
Of course I could abuse it by keeping an instance of the bean somewhere and handing it out whenever required, but I'm not planning on that.
Am I correct in my assumption?
Thanks
Adam

Author and all-around good cowpoke
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
As long as the reference variable that points to the Bean is a local reference - ie NOT an instance variable or static variable, no other Thread can see it.
Bill

Adam Hardy
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Great. That now I can do what I was planning.
I'm going to have a database access bean which does queries, and I'm going to instantiate it in the method of the servlet. When the bean instantiates, it's going to get itself a connection from a connection pool and keep this in its instance variable.
A transaction will start in the bean on instantiation and I'll have a method on the bean to call to commit it. This way, I won't have to have the connection outside the database access bean.
Adam

William Brogden
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Be sure you have a way to close that connection no matter what happens. DB connections use a lot of resources and leaving them open is a common point of failure in servlets using DBs.
Bill

Adam Hardy
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Good point.
There's no such thing as a destructor in Java, is there? I could have a check in the bean destructor to commit and close the connection if it's still open.
I guess I'll just make sure the exception handling is bullet proof.
Thanks for your help, everyone.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Adam,
Do the following:

This should ensure that you always close the connection.

Gerry Giese
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Guys, I've also got a question about thread-safety and static variables vs. ServletContext.
I'm building a framework, and I've decided to have an 'Application' object created at AppServer startup that holds various settings from a properties file, some one-time generated data, and a few common methods that are configured using that data, such as logging to an app-specific file.
I want my servlets AND my domain objects to be able to access this object. I created a generic servlet that ALL my application servlets will be required to subclass off of. In the init, I go create the Application object if it hasn't been, and store it in a static variable (Application is also a singleton, just in case). This way ALL my application servlets can access it. I also create a few std methods to wrap the Application object, such as logError(), logMsg(), logDebug(), etc. I also forward doPost() and doGet() to an abstract doProcessing(), but that's beside the point.
So now I have three questions: 1) should I switch from storing the Application object in a static to storing in the ServletContext()?
2) I was planning to try and store the Application object in the static variable of a framework (abstract) class called AppObject. Then each subclass would have a copy for it's use. Should I just pass the Application object in at construction every time? It's my understanding that if the app server restarts, then all the objects will be destroyed, so I don't have to worry about stuff getting out of synch.
3) Do I need to synchronize( ) my calls to the Application object? It won't ever create new objects after the first time, and the only writing/updating of data it does is when I log to a file, and I already have the log class synchronized. Does 'read' access to a class variable need to be synchronized? I may be thinking in SQL too much, where reads don't need 'transactions' (thread synchronization.
Thanks!

William Brogden
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
1. Right off hand I can't think of any reason to switch.
2. Why not just leave it as a static that every class can see? I doubt there is any measurable advantage to giving each object its own copy.
3. No need to synchronize if the data is not changing.
Bill

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic