• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Servlet version compatibility

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
My company was considering buying an existing Servlet application that uses Oracle as the DB. The application is 3 years old. Should Servlets be assumed to be backward compatible if we move the exsiting application to a new server using the latest Servlet specs?
We don't know the current version of Servlets being used.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
There have been some major changes in the Servlet API since 2.1 (it is now at 2.3 with 2.4 soon to follow). If the application is at least written using Servlets 2.2 then I would say you are fine. Regardless, do some testing on your own and ask the company that wrote the application if they have tested under later versions of the Servlet API.

Author and all-around good cowpoke
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You also need to consider the Java runtime version that the application was written for versus what the server provides.
I understand that SDK 1.4 has some changes to the database APIs that are incompatible with programs written for earlier JDKs.
You should download the servlet API from java.sun.com - it has a changes section that may help.
Bill

This is awkward. I've grown a second evil head. I'm going to need a machete and a tiny ad ...
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic