• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Losing session between different web apps.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,
I'm facing a problem in tracking session between different webapps. When i request from a page in a web app to a page in a diff web app, I lose the session.I use Sun one web server 6.1. Is there a way to keep tracking sessions between web apps?
Thanks in advance

Rancher
Android Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
When you say "web app", I assume you mean a separate web context and not a single context on separate machines?

If you are, then sessions don't work that way. A session is specific to an application context, and while the session ID in some containers may be the same between contexts, the session itself is not. It is possible to create messages between web applications, but you may find it better to have a 'common area' such as shared Database or business tier to allow the applications to communicate.

Be careful that you don't try to replicate the session's responsibility though. Doing so is dangerous since it may not be completely compatible with the existing session mananger and prevent clustering, or it may cause the original session manager to become unstable.

I hope this helps.
Dave

Alaa Abutabaq
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks very much for your help. I think about that, but i wished if i have a way to use the same session. It seems there is no way.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
There are very good reasons why you can't, security being prime among them.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic