• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

How microsoft plans to have complete control the internet

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator

How microsoft will have complete control the internet very soon ( by
controlling tcp/ip )
The Death of TCP/IP
Why the Age of Internet Innocence is Over
By Robert X. Cringely
http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20010802.html
http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20010802.html

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
That article is just a Microsoft basher. It pisses me off.

It's true that Linux and Apache are generally safer than Windows 2000 and IIS, but Microsoft products aren't going to go away

The Apache web site has been hacked like any other. I'm sick of Linux people whining about how impregnable and unbreakable Linux is.

The wonder of all these Internet security problems is that they are continually labeled as "e-mail viruses" or "Internet worms," rather than the more correct designation of "Windows viruses" or "Microsoft Outlook viruses."

No comment necessary.

Every feature in Windows had to pass the litmus test, "Does it increase market share?" Putting security safeguards in their products evidently failed the litmus test, and therefore weren't added.

Security is a process, not a product -- Bruce Schiener
I'd like to see the author of that article write something more flexible and easy to use for non-terminal gurus than Microsoft Office and also make it flaw free. Perhaps the microsoft would rather give you a flexiable, comprehensive product than a simple but safe one.
And the socket thing. I happen to like the ability to open sockets. I shouldn't have to use a windows security api to open one. Why is the ability to open sockets a 'flaw'? Does linux disable sockets? I think what he's talking about are called firewalls and there are many available.

Here is my preferred solution for Internet security. We could implement a secure user identity system precisely like telephone Caller ID. It would be essentially an Internet ID. All Internet transactions could be based on it. Anyone who sends me e-mail can be identified. Anything I send can be traced to me. People wouldn't be forced to participate, but if they remain anonymous, I might choose to block them. I certainly wouldn't accept file attachments from them.

Whatever happened to free speech? I wouldn't feel comfortable coming here if you all had my address and phone number.

"Microsoft, if you do not take responsibility for locking down your APIs, it will become obvious to the public and become a detriment to your market share."

If you wan't to run code and you don't want to write it yourself, than you have to be prepared for it to do things you don't know about. Should we stop allowing programs to access files without the user granting the right?

According to these programmers, Microsoft wants to replace TCP/IP with a proprietary protocol -- a protocol owned by Microsoft -- that it will tout as being more secure. Actually, the new protocol would likely be TCP/IP with some of the reserved fields used as pointers to proprietary extensions, quite similar to Vines IP, if you remember that product from Banyan Systems. I'll call it TCP/MS.

I don't believe it for a second.
And finally: That article is just a Microsoft basher.

erich brant
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

1)
First off, think of it this way, in 1995/96 Netscape was
80% of all browsers of the internet. As of 2001 Netscape is
only 15 % of the internet.
2)
Read the Halloween papers, which are leaked Documents from Microsoft employees, about MS plans and ideas on how to
increase market share.
http://www.opensource.org/halloween/

3) The article below was written by Tim Oreilly of www.oreilly.com on Microsoft's behavior ( past and future ).
http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/1999/11/16/microsoft_servers/index.html

Now I will answer your comments on the quotes:

The Apache web site has been hacked like any other. I'm sick of Linux people whining about how impregnable and
unbreakable Linux is.

Answer:
Apache has been hacked far less then IIS. Also security updates are very common and frequent with Apache. Do you
like waiting for MS patches, or paying for Upgrades which are also patches with extra features?
No comment necessary.
Answer:
You should ask yourself why in the world does MS make Outlook and VBS functional? Is there any good reason? Nope
Can VBS virus's or worms infect a Sun, Linux or Mac machine ? No!

Answer:
With Unix if a virus infects the system, it only infects the user and not the root ( 99% of the time you should run Linux and Unix as a user and not a root. ) Thus the virus cannot infect the kernel or any root access only files.

And the socket thing. I happen to like the ability to open sockets. I shouldn't have to use a windows security api
to open one. Why is the ability to open sockets a 'flaw'? Does linux disable sockets? I think what he's talking
about are called firewalls and there are many available.
Answer: Raw sockets make it very easy to email a virus that cannot be traced at all by anyone !
Also Raw sockets make it easy for a small program to take control over you computer remotely to do launch DOS attacks or take all of your passwords on your computer etc...
By saying Raw Sockets are ok, you do not understand security. Here are 2 articles to explain them to you.
This is how I learned about why raw sockets are very dangerous.
http://grc.com/dos/sockettome.htm
http://grc.com/dos/intro.htm

Quote of Rumor:
According to these programmers, Microsoft wants to replace TCP/IP with a proprietary protocol -- a protocol owned

by Microsoft -- that it will tout as being more secure. Actually, the new protocol would likely be TCP/IP with
some of the reserved fields used as pointers to proprietary extensions, quite similar to Vines IP, if you remember
that product from Banyan Systems. I'll call it TCP/MS.
I don't believe it for a second.
Answer:
People believe in Aliens and all kinds of dumb things, I am not asking you to believe but to think!

Ranch Hand
Scala Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I found this article on that site very interesting http://grc.com/dos/grcdos.htm
I knew the problem would get worse but I had no idea how much worse it will get if MS procedes with their plans.
The only thing I didnt like about the article is now I have to learn what IP, UDP and ICMP packets are
wow that was interesting I found a good tutorial on TCP/IP and now I understand the internet better. It answered my question of why we need ISP's. I also learned what UDP and ICMP are and another one ARP
[This message has been edited by Randall Twede (edited August 27, 2001).]

erich brant
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Email the url to this specific webpage, to people who are care about the future of the internet.

If you have any article links that are similar, add them here!

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
don't believe everything you read when it's written by Steve Gibson (of grc.com). Serious security professionals do not take him at all seriously. He also has a history of doom-prediction and has long been reactionary and sensationalist.

erich brant
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Steve Gibson (of grc.com) may be a Doom and Gloom type of guy
but he is right that there are potenial problems for every security topic he brings up.

If sealing all of your 65 thousand ports on your computer is
reactionary and extreme, or using a hardware and a software firewall extreme, then these security experts you talk to have never been hacked or just to dumb to know if they have been hacked.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Absolutely. I coudn't agree more. And , as one of your guys put it "C# try to be Java sneaky!". But, do not despair, soon "all your base are belong to us"
[This message has been edited by Sahir Shibley (edited September 03, 2001).]

Desperado
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Randall: Good.
Now you have learned what was taught (and I hope is still been taught) at Universities on the topic of Computer Networks.
My favorite single-volume college text book on the subject is Computer Networks by Andrew Tanenbaum.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
erich,
I think most observant people already see that MS's agenda is to dominate many computer-related markets by whatever sleazy means available (legal or otherwise).

They will screw whomever they have to to try and make it happen.
Believe it. Trouble is, most Americans don't seem to:
A. know about M$'s predatory business practices, or
B. care. After all, they're making $; so that's capitalism, right?
I'd rather fight the good fight, thanks.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
How much of this came true??
[ January 06, 2006: Message edited by: Stuart Ash ]

Ranch Hand
Firefox Browser Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies