• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

File Upload

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I am trying to implement File upload functionality using Servlet(using some third part APIs).
Can anybody help me what all parameters/factors needs to be considered while transfering the file from client system to the server.
How exactly it is to be implemented considering security as the main issue?

Thanks.
Anand

Sheriff
Firefox Browser VI Editor Redhat
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Amitav Anand:
.. (using some third part APIs)....

What third party APIs?
Each product has its own way of doing things.
I would start with the documentation for the product you're using.

Amitav Anand
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Ben...
Sorry to mention third party API. Actually our company is having a framewrok which has the support for File upload, but since I am new to this functionality(i.e. file upload), I just wanted to know what all factors need to be considered for the same.

Do we need to have a separate File Transfer Server(which must be having some servlet application in itself) to do the processing of file or we can implement the whole processing of uploaded file in our own servlet itself.

Since the file upload functionality is supposed to be implemented for a financial institution, I am bit worried about the security related issues like scanning the file for viruses and other issues, which I am not aware of.

I would you request you to give me some more information on this, which will make things a bit easier.

Thanks..
Anand

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
hai..

i am done this task to upload a file ...

in my upload file task i can attach any number of files at the specified location..

according to our application i was stored attached files in the dump direcotry inside the current project folder..

if you need this mail me reddy.yeruva@gmail.com

because while submitted post it is displaying so many errors in the java ranch <,> is not accepted like that..

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Since you have posted this to the Servlet forum I assume you will be using the HTTP protocol to receive these files from clients/browsers. What you are looking for is the ability to process multipart HTTP requests on the server. Going with a third party library will probably save you a lot of time as implementing the complete RFC can take some time . There is also an open source free library from the Apache foundation (www.apache.org).

From security stand point the things you have to consider are what kind of information do you wish to receive and ensure that that is being send. What size of files you wish to accept and what types, where will those files be stored on the server. Do you have a virus scanner that may interfere or switch permission amid transmition. What permission will your files have during and once downloaded on your server. What ports will you use for this functionality. What other checks and functionality will your fileupload servlet need to peruse to conform to business requirements.

So what you have to do is analyse what you need to get from those files, why, when, how etc. and make sure that is the only thing that can be sent, sound rather simplified but in general terms that is it.

Good luck.
George

Amitav Anand
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thank you very much George.
Hope I can now carry on with the implementation..

Thanks.
Anand

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic