• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Automaticly reposted data to Tomcat

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi all ,
i have j2EE application running on Tomcat 5.5.23 . when a request sent to my servlet, my servlet try to do a job(query on db) this jobs takes 12 minutes . but after 5 min my servlet recalled as if Firefox or IE called it again so a new job restart again and it becomes two job . At the end 10 minutes my browser says connection reset error.
When i do the same thing with my bundled tomcat 5.5.17 of my netbeans there is no such reposting/resending/recalling/refreshing or timeout after 5 min .
any way to avoid that ?

thanks
[ September 06, 2007: Message edited by: ozkan gumus ]

(instanceof Sidekick)
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Wow, never heard of such a thing. Any chance you could design the process to return a "I'm working on it" page to the browser immediately and e-mail the user when the task is done? Or invite them to check back soon?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
i havn't seen it before

ozkan gumus
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The problem caused by a firewall I think .

when i am connecting to tomcat 5.5.23 i have learned that my packages passes by a firewall and this firewall kills every connection which are idle for five min. so when i sent my request i know it will send a response after 12 minutes but firewall kill the link after 5 min .

When i observed it with Ethereal , i saw that after five minutes it comes a pakcage [RST-ACK] meaning "port closed" . and browser reposts data .

thanks

Sheriff
Firefox Browser VI Editor Redhat
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Five minutes is too long to keep a browser connection open, firewall or no firewall. One minute would be too long.

If something takes that long, you should consider kicking off a new thread and returning the user to a status page that refreshes every n seconds until the task is done. Or, as Stan suggested, have the app send the user an email when the task is done.

Die Fledermaus does not fear such a tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic