• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Soft vs Weak vs Phantom Reference

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I have read the Sun online documentation but still don't understand the difference between a Soft Reference and a Weak Reference, or when I'd want to use one vs. the other.
Also, what good is a Phantom Reference, if I can never get back the actual reference behind it? Without that, I don't see how I can free the memory in a native method or anywhere else.
Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/ALT/RefObj/
"Phantomly Reachable
An object is phantomly reachable when the garbage collector finds no strong, soft, or weak references, but at least one path to the object with a phantom reference. Phantomly reachable objects are objects that have been finalized, but not reclaimed.
When the garbage collector finds only phantom references to an object, it enqueues the phantom reference. The program polls the reference queue and upon notification that the phantom reference is enqueued, performs post-finalization cleanup processing that requires the object to be unreachable (such as the deallocation of resources outside the Java heap). At the end of the post-finalization cleanup code, the program should call the clear() method on the phantom reference object to set the reference field to null to make the referent eligible for garbage collection."

Ron Newman
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I've read that but I don't understand it.
If I can never get back the real reference behind a Phantom Reference, how can I do any cleanup at all?
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic