• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Analyzing Java source code

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi All,
I am looking for a tool that analyzes Java/C++ source code to identify design and other issues associated with the code. The tool should be able to identify the reusability ,extensibility of the source code with good report generation features.
I did some lookup on the internet and found some tools like JDepend, Lexient Surveyor.
If any of you came across tools like this and have any suggestions, it would be appreciated
Thanks in advance,
Param

(instanceof Sidekick)
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
See JTest too.

Param Yanamandra
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Stan,
I checked out this tool and found it very useful. Do you know of any other tools.

Stan James
(instanceof Sidekick)
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I did a paper for grad school and just googled for "java static source code analysis" and found a bunch of things. One of the trade journals just had an article about how little value these tools and and a nice rebuttal from a vendor. I considered JTest and one of the others seriously for enforcement of team standards and found most of what they point out is pretty trivial or even counter productive - like too many required comments. JTest is interesting in that it points out things that are often invitations to bugs and suggests corrections. That might be worth while.

We cannot change unless we survive, but we will not survive unless we change. Evolving tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic