• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Book vs Online Resources

Ranch Hand
Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
There are tons of resources online about the new features in Tiger with code samples, etc. What does your book offer that I won't get from these online free resources?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I would like to pick up a really GOOD book covering most (maybe not all) of the topics. If you want to learn more or want to trace the technological trend about a specific topic, just go online to navigate as much as you like.
It is actually my personal preference to learn something new.

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Gregg:

Thanks for bringing up an interesting topic.

Online resources are great and the benefits are obvious: They provide free, timely information on demand. But, they can have their limitations. For example, the Web is a wonderful, but chaotic place. Sometimes it is difficult to get a truly organized understanding of a topic by relying only on online content. Sometimes knowledge gaps are created. Moreover, sometimes you don't realize that those knowledge gaps exist until one gets you into trouble. Also, sometimes the quality of the content is unknown. We have all seen wrong information bounce around the Web.

The benefits of a book differ from those of an online resource. A good one presents an organized discussion of the topic. It shows how all the pieces fit together. Also, all the major publishers subject their books to full peer reviews. Thus, you can have a fairly high degree of confidence in the quality of the information in a book. Remember, books are costly to write, edit, and print. Because the time, effort, and cost is so great, publishers and authors go to great lengths to ensure the accuracy of their books. The same cannot be said for all Web resources.

You ask specifically what my book Java 2, v5.0 (Tiger) New Features offers that you can't find online? I would answer in part by saying "Depth of coverage, cohesion, organization, and continuity." I would then add that it puts all the new features of Java into their historical perspective, explaining both "the how and the why." The book also shows how the new features work together in many cases.

Hope this helps!

Gregg Bolinger
Ranch Hand
Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Herb,

That was a great answer. Very complete. Thanks a lot.

I claim this furniture in the name of The Ottoman Empire! You can keep this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic