• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Are topics overlapped in Java 2:The Complete Reference and Tiger:New Features?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Mr.Herbert,
Referring to your post at this thread, I found out that "Java 2: The Complete Reference" is coming out soon...

The following is some parts from your post in that thread...

Originally posted by Herb Schildt:
BTW: I am also revising my book "Java 2: The Complete Reference" for the 5.0 release. It will cover the existing features plus the new features.

I hope that book will contain the most complete info about the Tiger and will become one of the best-selling book, which is about the Tiger...

BTW, Mr.Herbert, don't you think that the publication time for the two books "Java 2: The Complete Reference" and "Java 2 v5.0 (Tiger) New Features" are too close? And will some of the contents in the latter be overlapped in the Complete Reference? Or you are using new and creative examples in "Java 2:The Complete Reference" book? I just would like to make sure the readers who bought "Java 2 v5.0 (Tiger) New Features" won't disapppoint with the contents and examples coming up with the "Java 2:The Complete Reference" book.

Or you just let the readers taste the feature of Tiger in "Java 2 v5.0 (Tiger) New Features" first and let them explore more details in "Java 2: The Complete Reference"... Thanks a lot for the great books and I'm looking forward to read both of them...

Ko Ko Naing
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
One of my queries on your book have left behind... I do hope that others will also want to know about both of your books...

It's not your fault that some threads are left to reply, because there are so many messages for you to reply...

Hope you see this thread... :roll:

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Based on the previous version of the book, I suppose that The Complete Reference book covers more issues in Tiger than Herbert's book, because it is not only discuss about the new features, it also discuss the overview and most important issues in Tiger.

I guess Herbert's book focus more on introducing the new features, while the complete reference will really be a *complete reference*.

Nick

Ko Ko Naing
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Nicholas Cheung:
because it is not only discuss about the new features, it also discuss the overview and most important issues in Tiger.

I guess Herbert's book focus more on introducing the new features, while the complete reference will really be a *complete reference*.

Mmm, Nick, what I would like to know is whether all examples and codes in the Tiger:New Features book are copied and pasted into the new "Java 2:The Compete Reference" book or not... Especially for the topics that are overlapped in the two books... How do u think about it, Nick?

Ranch Hand
Firefox Browser Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
It could be possible that complete Refernce book is a superset of New featured book. This looks okay to me.

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Ko Ko (and everyone):

My book "Java 2, v5 (Tiger) New Features" describes only the new features that version 5 adds to Java. It is a fast-paced guide for moving to 5.0. This book is about 200 pages long. This book is available now.

My book "Java 2: The Complete Reference" is a very long, in-depth look at the entire Java language and its core libraries. The 5.0 revision of this book will be coming out after 5.0 is released. The Complete Reference is over 1,100 pages! It is also costs twice as much as the "New Features" book.

The key is that the "New Features" book offers a lower-cost option to those programmers who just want info about the new things in Java. The Complete Reference is for those that want an in-depth guide to the entire language and its core libraries.

Ko Ko Naing
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Herb Schildt:
Ko Ko (and everyone):

My book "Java 2, v5 (Tiger) New Features" describes only the new features that version 5 adds to Java. It is a fast-paced guide for moving to 5.0. This book is about 200 pages long. This book is available now.

My book "Java 2: The Complete Reference" is a very long, in-depth look at the entire Java language and its core libraries. The 5.0 revision of this book will be coming out after 5.0 is released. The Complete Reference is over 1,100 pages! It is also costs twice as much as the "New Features" book.

The key is that the "New Features" book offers a lower-cost option to those programmers who just want info about the new things in Java. The Complete Reference is for those that want an in-depth guide to the entire language and its core libraries.

Mr.Herbert, thanks a million for the explanation on your books... Then as for me, I would only need the current book "Java 2, v5 (Tiger) New Features"...

As Pradeep said, the current book "Java 2, v5 (Tiger) New Features" is kinda subset of the "Java 2: The Complete Reference", isn't it? :roll:

Nicholas Cheung
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
For sure I feel.

Nick
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic