• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

To the author: what about .Net?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I'm sure a lot of us are in the situation where, if we aren't doing .Net related projects already, we might soon be.

In your experience, to what extent do you think the principles for crafting robust Java applications you discuss in your book are also applicable to writing good, solid C# or VB.Net applications, too?

Thanx in advance .. PSM

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Paul,

Good question! There are indeed parts of "Robust Java" that I feel would be applicable to the broader work of developing robust enterprise software. Specifically, I've spent some effort elaborating good practices and key considerations in a few chapters in the book. It seems as though the following topics from the book all have more universal applicability:

• best (and worst) practices for handling exceptions
  • exception handling and software design
  • exception handling in software architecture
  • design patterns and exception handling
  • testing
  • debugging

• That said, all of the example code in the book is written in Java, and I don't specifically focus on other languages, technologies and frameworks. I suspect you'd have to do some filtering to gather more general recommendations for the .NET framework while reading the book.

Hope this helps,
    Steve

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
      Bookmark Topic Watch Topic