• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

passing object by reference

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
This is my situation:
I thought when I did an ArrayList.add(ErrorObject) I was passing a COPY of the ErrorObject and that COPY of the ErrorObject was preserved no matter what happened to the �source� ErrorObject.

This doesn't appear to be the case...

Below is a drawn out description of what I'm experiencing � in case you need more details of my situation.

============

I designed a result object that I use when making calls. Almost all of my methods have a return value of ResultObject.

Example call:
roResult = member.addMember("chris","montgomery");

This result object (roResult) has a few boolean members:
protected boolean isSuccessful, hasErrors...

It also has a few string members:
protected String methodName,className,packageName,responseString;

Lastly, it has two array list members:
protected ArrayList errorArrayList, responseArrayList;

This way I can have a clear view of who, what, where, when and why each time a method call is made.

Anyway...

During the execution of addMember, if I stumble upon an error, I have yet another object - this time it's an ErrorObject (eoError) that I fill with what caused the error:
eoError.fillErrorObject("stuff",�more stuff�,�even more stuff�, etc.);

(ErrorObject is a class with the following members:
protected String errorNumber,errorDescription,errorPackageOccurnace,errorClassOccurnace,errorMethodOccurnace,externalErrorCode

Once this ErrorObject is filled, I do an addMemberErrorArrayList.add(ErrorObject);.

For each error I stumble upon in the addMember code, I clear and fill the ErrorObject and then make another addMemberErrorArrayList.add(ErrorObject) call.

Once I�ve gone gone through as much as I can, I set my ResultObject�s errorArrayList equal to my addMemberErrorArrayList that was built during the execution of addMember and return roResult.

The goal is to store ALL the errors I encountered during the call in my array list (so the user is fully informed rather than displaying one error at a time).

What I'm finding is that if I have 5 errors, my array list has 5 items in it, but they all contain the LAST error encountered (rather than the 5 individual errors):

Result Package: com.aid.core.data.process
Result Class: ProcessMemberData
Result Successful: true
Result Has Errors: true
ERROR COUNT: 1 OF 5
ERROR NUMBER: 11
ERROR DESCRIPTION: Email address is null.
ERROR COUNT: 2 OF 5
ERROR COUNT: 3 OF 5
ERROR COUNT: 4 OF 5
ERROR COUNT: 5 OF 5

I guess I thought when I did an ArrayList.add() I was passing a COPY of the ErrorObject and that COPY of the ErrorObject was preserved no matter what happened to the �source�.

Do I really have to instantiate a new ErrorObject every time I hit an error?

Seems process intensive�

Thanks!

Chris

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Based on what you posted, a new error object is exactly what you want. I understand that you think this might involve too much overhead but consider this: If Java passed everything by copy, you'd be instantiating a new object anyway. You would have to create a new object and fill it with the values that you were looking for, then add it to your data structure and the JVM would enforce this. Passing by reference (as default) is the more efficient approach, you can create many handles to one object and at your convienience, create copies.

Good luck.
[ August 08, 2005: Message edited by: Jon Cone ]

Chris Montgomery
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Cool - thanks!

so...

when I'm doing an ArrayList.add(), I'm not really passing anything by reference or value. I'm simply adding THE object.

Well, I guess that's exactly what passing by value is, but I'm also guessing I shouldn't think of it in these terms when populating collections.

right?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Java has a simple consistent argument passing mechanism so regardless of the objects involved you can always think of them the same way. Java has objects, references and primitives. You never access objects directly; objects can be accessed only through a reference. Objects are not passed in to methods or returned from methods, rather, object references are.

The reference "points" to an object on the heap. It's like an address that contains the coordinates of the object withing the heap. The object doesn't move and it's not passed to or returned from anything, ever.

[ August 08, 2005: Message edited by: Rick O'Shay ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
This might help: http://qa.jtiger.org/GetQAndA.action?qids=37&showAnswers=true

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Try reading the following JavaRanch 'campfire story' for clarity on the value/reference question:
cups

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic