• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Notification system with queueing

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I'm working on a project for an alerting system and I wanted to bounce an idea around and see if something already exists like this or if this is a good idea. Not sure if this is the right forum, so please move this if not appropriate.

What I'm thinking of is putting together a small web application with a hypersonic db that can receive an HTTP post and add an event to the database. Then using a scheduled thread, read the records in the db and send them out to a webservice for additional processing. It would also periodically send out a heartbeat event for monitoring purposes. The only reason for not sending directly to the webservice is so if connection is broken for any reason, events can queue up and be send once the connection restores. So sort of a proxy with queuing capabilities.

(instanceof Sidekick)
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Look into queueing message oriented middleware (MOM) products like MQ-Series. They support a concept called "assured delivery" meaning once you put a message in queue they assure it will be delivered once and only once. (Guarantee implies money back or something contractual, so they don't use that word.) The implementation is a backing database so messages survive a queue manager failure or shutdown. We use both native MQ APIs and JMS APIs on top of any number of MOM products. We're an MQ-Series shop, so I've never looked into open source or free JMS/MOM implementations.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic