• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Java interprocess communication

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hullo there.

I am fairly new to java and have a few questions about interprocess communication (i think it's called interprocess communication)...

Is it possible for a java application to trigger gui event's in another java application without modification to the affected application? Basically i am wondering if there is a java equlivant to the windows SendMessage() function that can be sent from one application to another.

As an extension to this problem, is it possible to enumerate the components of a java gui (from another java application), and aquire the porperties of each component? Kind of like a java version of the windows Spy++ program that comes with Visual Studio.

My long term goal is to write a universal Spy++ like program that works with windows components and java components alike.

Thanks for ready,
Jon

author and iconoclast
Mac OS X Eclipse IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi,

Welcome to JavaRanch!

Perhaps, with some exceedingly hairy use of the debugger API, this might be possible, but I don't think so. You could attach to the process easily enough, and walk around in the GUI components, but I'm not sure you could send any events that way. In any event, it's not for the faint of heart!

Jon Cade
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks for the reply

I've had a bit of a look into the debugger route, and i think it will work for aquiring the information about each component.

I believe you are right about sending events. I may have to end up with a rather crude program that actually moves the pointer and performs a click on the window to trigger gui events.

Cheers for the insight,
Jon

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic