• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Indian Team is World Champion

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
It's official now, indian team is the world champion.�f the world consist of only SWEDEN,DENMARK,GREENLAND;ETHOPIA.

Anonymous
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Man .. what a pathetic display by the Indians.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Absolue humiliation.
Indian team -125 all out.lowest record in the history of world cup.
Come back to India from South Africa

mister krabs
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I read that article and it might as well have been written in Indian. Does anyone want to explain the game or know a website that can explain the game for ignorant Americans?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thomas,
I guess you know the world cup is going on presently. This is being jointly hosted by South Africa, Zimbabwe and Kenya (not sure abt kenya... I guess there are a couple a matches in kenya)
There are mainly two versions of the game
1) Test matches which are played for 5 days. This is the more conservative kind of cricket. As with every other sport, thrills had to find a place in a dull 5 day affair. Thats when the second version was introduced
2) It is called One-day-international cricket.
This match usually has a result ( as against test match which can/cannot have a result). Very rarely do one-day matches end in a tie.
Well... now when I set to explain the rules of the game, I dont know where to start with
I dont know much about baseball but is similar to that
There are 11 players for each team.(+ reserve players in case some of the playing eleven is out)
I think I will give you this link which has more details. I guess people start adding more to discussion because I see there quite a few fans of cricket on the forum
Sri

tumbleweed
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yep pathetic came to mind. Or are the Ausies really THAT good ??.
Two games are scheduled to be played in Nairobi. But New Zealand has already indicated they refuse to play there. So only one game Kenya - Sri Lanka will be played. But then if SA beats NZ today they might have to go because they won�t be able to forfeit the points
Thomas the official �keepers" of the rules of cricket is the MCC see Lords. The Dutch cricket board has this great pdf to explain how one can go out. Yep a sort of criket for dummies.
Welcome to the world of cricket
[ February 16, 2003: Message edited by: Johannes de Jong ]

Anonymous
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Cricket is quite popular in countries ,once British colonial,like Au,In,South Africa,NZ,Pk etc.Now Holland is also there.Approximately 15/17 countries play cricket.World cup is generally held once in 4 years.
This site may be useful
about Cricket

Sridhar Srikanthan
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Johannes de Jong:
Yep pathetic came to mind. Or are the Ausies really THAT good ??.

Not to take away any credit from aussies but, in the recent past Indian form has been pathetic. They have lost the NZ series in a disappointing way and boys need to desperately strike some form and confidence if they are going to even enter the super sizes.
Sri

Ranch Hand
Android Firefox Browser Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
What annoys me most is the fact that Indians don't look charged up or enthu that they are playing the world cup. They look so pathetric!!!
Most other top players like Lara, Jaysurya from other teams did pick up at the right time, they know world cup is the event. Esp Lara and Klusener; they were out of form and not playing for some time, but when it matters they are right there!!
It hurts to see players like Ganguly, Sehwag getting out to such bad wide balls!! It's very very very pathetic!!!
- Manish

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Do you know what this means.....Pakisthan is in trouble come next week.
I hope the Indian team will show all its might in the match with Pak and pass this record to them....
- madhav........no offense, just wishful thinking!

Sridhar Srikanthan
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
As any other Indian,
I am looking forward to the clash between
India and Pakistan.
I hope its going to India all the way
Go beat them!!!
Sri
-------------
take it in a good spirit

Anonymous
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yeah , the India-Pakistan matche is the "Mother of all battles " as Saddam would say
That is the only match I would be watching. Wouldnt want to pay 10 dollars to watch India lose again.

Anonymous
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
{
Indians don't look charged up or enthu that they are playing the world cup.
}
They are only charged when they are engaged in endorsing the products ranging from truck tyres to cell phones to condoms.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'm predicting a New Zealand / Sri Lanka final, strange as that may sound to some
South Africa aren't the team they were in the previous 2 World Cups, and Australia... uugh, I forgot about Australia
Still, I'm going with NZ / Sri Lanka
All up though, its a tragically unbalanced type of competition. Some of the entrants never play international cricket and are sadly used as cannon-fodder by their much-stronger opponents to boost their run rates.
And even in the stronger teams, the game (and WC) is usually won by one (or maybe two) players who just find their groove on the day. Look at what Stephen Fleming just did to South Africa's not-too-bad 306 score.
Funny old game, cricket. Thomas, I'm not sure you really want to get into it - far too confusing

Sridhar Srikanthan
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Mark,
my ideal final would
India vs Pakistan ....
and you know where my loyalties lie
Sri

Johannes de Jong
tumbleweed
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
A lot of South-African's will say it was the rain and Duckworth/Lewis that lost them the game, but lets face it NZ deserved the win. Congrats

Rancher
Android Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by mark howard:
I'm predicting a New Zealand / Sri Lanka final, strange as that may sound to some

I tend to agree.
My prediction based on Australia's overconfidence and the way they played local games before heading to SA is that they will crush everyone in the first round then bomb out in an embarrassing way in the finals.
I'd like to see NZ and SA in the finals. I watched some of the game last night but went to bed bored. What should have been great cricket was turned into a farce by electrical, mechanical and weather problems.
Disappointing.

Johannes de Jong
tumbleweed
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'd like to see NZ and SA in the finals
Highly unlikely now. SA needs to win all their remaining games and WI must to beat Sri Lanka. Somehow I can’t see that happening.

Anonymous
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
India

Ranch Hand
MySQL Database Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Sridhar Srikanthan
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Finally, finally finally....India has a convincing victory
Sri

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Against Zimbabwe :roll:
One win after howmany losses ??? ( i mean forget about the Holland match) i am talking matches with reasonable teams.. no offence for Holland but they are not exactly international material..
Come to think of it India was not exactly upto International level recently
But hey .. A Win is a Win and Zimbabwe is not such a bad team either.. I hope India will keep winning some matches .. the next 2 and most importantly the one on 1st March..

Anonymous
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Now Indian cricketers can lower their security around their residences from Z+ to Y

Sridhar Srikanthan
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by vi kam:
the next 2 and most importantly the one on 1st March..

Of course March1 is the unofficial final for us
Sri

Ranch Hand
Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
India- Pakistan
India - Pakistan
How much pressure you guys put on our poor boys ...
Should they aim for world cup or Pakistan or Holland or Namibia..
They are in pressure because of you guys who expect a lot and thats why they are not able to perform well and are not in form.

===================
Having lost poorly against Australia, India went on with their onsistent performance and lost against Zim, England and Pakistan, and involved in a major upset of the tournament by beating Namibia by 1 run.
After having received death threats from terrorist cricket fans in India, Indian players have decided to forfeit their trip to India and decided to settle in SA itself. All the sponsors got frustrated and contacted Dollermiya for some solution.
Dollermiya consulted the expert team of Mandira Bedi, Rubi Bhatia, Maria, Raveena Tandon, and Charu Sharma and decided to host another ICC (India Chale Chalo) world cup with tough teams like Holland, Namibia, Canada & bangladesh. They formulated several rules in favour of India:
1. If sourav wins the toss, India will bat first... else the opposite team will field first (as Indians are poor chasers)
2. Each Match will be of 40 overs only
3. Matches will be held in Holland, Namibia, Canada & Bangladesh. All nations except India will host the match (As host nations never won the worldcup)
4. Pool A comprises of India, Namibia, Holland, Canada & Bangladesh, and for Pool B India only..so that if India wont qualify from pool A, they definitely will qualify from PoolB.
5. Indian pitches will be taken & relaid in all the matches.
6. Balls bouncing above knee high will be termed as noballs, and if a bowler bowls above 120 kmph will be removed from the attack, as its dangerous for indian batsmen.
7. man of the match will get adidas/Nike contract for a month... man
of
the series - for a
year...
Indians prepared very hard for the tournament by shooting ads in the jungles with rats, rabbits etc.. etc...even Parthiv got some assignments in Johnson & Johnson Baby products..
Finally the big day came... India�s first match against
Kenya...Sehwag
finally opened the batting
... First three balls... he chased the ball... chased the ball... but the bowler is too smart.. he bowled too wide that even sehwag cannot touch the ball...suddenly something hit him on the helmet... sehwag thought.... wow what a ball !!! oh.. no its not the ball...its a cell phone...
he took the handset... its a reliance one... he saw somebody�s photo... not able to recognize...
wow its his sponsor�s photo...boy...if you are not scoring some runs... you are losing our contract. The next ball flew out of the ground...
All the players got some calls from their sponsors and India scored an whooping 359 runs in the allotted overs. Kenya came to bat... they tried very hard and final over - 8 needed off 6 balls..1 wicket in hand.. srinath bowled a verrrrrrrrrrrryyyyy very slow ball.. it bounced atleast some 10 times and finally reached tikolo (who is in the pavilion)
yepp.. our Gateway of India Dravid missed the ball and went for a
four.. now 4 needed from 5 balls... a big thud...its
not the batsman hitting the ball... its me who had fell down from the cot... There ends my world cup DREAM...

vi kam
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Good One !!!
Strange dreams you are having Ravish!! How's your back taking that fall

Johannes de Jong
tumbleweed
  • Mark post as helpful