• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

generics and arrays

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Dear ranchers,

This is a bit of a painful one, since I know that Java 5 does not permit the construction of generic arrays. It seems strange that this is not permitted since to implement collection classes using arrays would be a natural thing to do.

Fair enough, I see it's not a proper type to create an array with, and I can see that generics are only doing their thing at compile-time (so this might cause problems for runtime type-checking) but shouldn't there be some sort of way to do this using 'nice' java?

Can anyone suggest a way to do this that isn't a nasty hack (or an only mildly nasty hack if there's no nice way to do it)?

Many thanks - Jim

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Maybe something like that:

?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The simplest way is to not use arrays. Arrays are not fully typechecked at compile time:

Number[] numbers=new Integer[1];
numbers[0]=5.0; //ArrayStoreException

That's the main reason why they're incompatible with generics.

If you're absolutely convinced that using arrays is what you want, use the factory pattern.

interface ArrayFactory<T>
{
T[] instance();
}

public <T> void doSomething(ArrayFactory<T> factory)
{
System.out.println(factory.instance());
}

Obviously this isn't a useful example.

In my opinion, Java 5 wasn't fit for release while there were generics warnings from classes such as ArrayList.

Java Cowboy
Android Scala IntelliJ IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
"This is a bit of a painful one, since I know that Java 5 does not permit the construction of generic arrays. It seems strange that this is not permitted since to implement collection classes using arrays would be a natural thing to do."

It is strange indeed, I've written a blog post once to explain exactly why it works like this in Java: Java generics quirks.

Basically the reason why this doesn't work is because the Java compiler uses type erasure, so that the array store check does not have all the information available at runtime that it needs. I think Sun implemented generics using type erasure only because they didn't want to radically change the class file format in Java 5. Unfortunately we're now stuck with it - it seems unlikely that in future versions of Java we will get rid of type erasure.

Ricky Clarkson
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Reification is being considered for Java 7.

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic