• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

What technology to use - emailing results from an analysis

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello, basically I am setting up a jsp page that will take in the user's input files and the email address, then upload the files to another server (high performance cluster) for an analysis that can take on the order of days to run. When done several output files are created and I want these emailed to the user.

The best idea that I have come up with is to set up an hourly cron script on the intermediate server that will then take care of this (actually in turn calling a Java class that checks the status on the cluster and then obtains the results and emails them via the Java Mail API if the job is finished).
The mechanics of everything is working ok, when I just call the script directly it does properly call the Java class which does properly email the results if the job is finished on the cluster. Before I actually ask for permission from the administrator to set up this script on cron of the intermediate server I was just looking for any opinions as to whether this is an "ugly" solution to the problem and if there is any other cleaner way of accomplishing this, I don't really know where to even start looking for other approaches that will check the status on another server for a job, and then email the results if finished. Heck I can't even think of a good search term for this problem to check on Google for potential solutions.

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic