• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Happy Memorial Day!

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Well the brisket and spare ribs are almost done, the longnecks are chilled, the baked beans are nice and hot. Anyone in the Longview/Tyler, Texas area come by and eat a bite. Sorry Richard, didn't make any mole and since squirrels are out of season there's no chocolate-chili squirrel brains on the menu. But my homemade barbeque sauce is hotter'nhell.

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
lol, I am making myself a turkey sand-which. Home alone today and I am liking it! My woman left for Texas with her friend on Sat. driving there from PA. Crazy girls....
Have a nice holiday people, I know I am!
Eric

Ugly Redneck
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Michael Morris:
the longnecks are chilled

the redneck is hungry

Michael Morris
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
the redneck is hungry
Come on, we got plenty!
My woman left for Texas with her friend on Sat. driving there from PA.
Get smart did she? What part of PA? I was amazed at the friendliness of the people in Pittsburg, made me feel welcome. Just like bein' in the Lone Star State.

Paul McKenna
Ugly Redneck
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

the redneck is hungry
Come on, we got plenty!

Thanks but I think I've had enough of southern accent for one holiday weekend. Just returned from Virginia and boy o boy! All y'all was all over the place. Am back in Maryland where the local lingo is "Wassup Dawg"
Didnt meet any fellow rednecks though!!
[ May 26, 2003: Message edited by: Sriraj Rajaram ]

Michael Morris
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Virginia
That's Yankee land!

Eric Pascarello
author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Right now I am sitting from State College (Where PSU University Park is) I am orginally from Lancaster the home of the amish
My girlfriend is heading to College Station to meet friends there.

Paul McKenna
Ugly Redneck
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Virginia
That's Yankee land!

No way!! Thats as southern as you want it to be. Maybe norther virgina is a little more liberal but deep south virginia.. no way!! Infact if I'm not mistaken wasnt General Lee from Virginia? Or did the confederacy fight their last battle in Virginia before the surrender

Michael Morris
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
My girlfriend is heading to College Station to meet friends there.
She'll have to pass within 15 miles of my place on I20 most likely. Goin' to Aggie land huh? Well maybe she won't come back dumber.
if I'm not mistaken wasnt General Lee from Virginia? Or did the confederacy fight their last battle in Virginia before the surrender
Yea, but Lee wasn't very dedicated to the cause. Had two opputunities to route DC and didn't do it. Could have ended the war before it ever got under way. Alas, though, all's well that end's well.

slicker
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
That's Yankee land!
It is NOW!!!
Robert E. Lee's home - uhh... I mean Arlington National Cemetery

arch rival
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hands up all those who have no idea whatsoever what memorial day is (remember what two of the w's in www stand for).

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well the brisket and spare ribs are almost done, the longnecks are chilled, the baked beans are nice and hot. Anyone in the Longview/Tyler, Texas area come by and eat a bite. Sorry Richard, didn't make any mole and since squirrels are out of season there's no chocolate-chili squirrel brains on the menu. But my homemade barbeque sauce is hotter'nhell.
Wow, sounds ace. Wish I was nearby. Ain't had a good bbq for a year now

Richard Hawkes
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Marcus Green:
Hands up all those who have no idea whatsoever what memorial day is (remember what two of the w's in www stand for).

Its similar to Remembrance Sunday in the UK, where service men and women who have died in wars are honoured.

Michael Morris
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Its similar to Remembrance Sunday in the UK, where service men and women who have died in wars are honoured.
While I was taking the brisket off the grill four WWII vintage aircraft flew over my place in formation at low altitude. Quite an event to witness in rural East Texas. The coyotes are probably still pissin' their pants.

mister krabs
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Yes, it's the "world wide web" and there is a thing called "google" which you might want to try.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=memorial+day
This is one of the first links:
http://www.usmemorialday.org/backgrnd.html

Marcus Green
arch rival
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Indeed I could use www.google.com, It is one of my favorite ego surfing toys, ohh look what rank I get when I type in "Marcus Green" and "water based lubricant" (or whatever). The purpose of my post was similar to that of the apocraphyl (sp) judge who says "what pray is television".
The majority of viewers of the text in this forum are not based in the US and thus it makes sense to encourage people to clarify terms.
What are you all doing for Guy Fawkes night this year?
Marcus

John Dunn
slicker
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Reminding my wife how much 'behUH' July 4th is in the US, than Guy Fawkes over in 'BrihIN'!!

Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Probably same thing I did last year.
I don't suppose you guys over there will be celebrating Gaspee Day the weekend of 6/13-6/15 by any chance, will you?

Bartender
Eclipse IDE Ruby Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

What part of PA? I was amazed at the friendliness of the people in Pittsburg, made me feel welcome. Just like bein' in the Lone Star State.

That's what I like to hear about my fellow Pittsburghers. I'm originally from the Pittsburgh area, but not find myself across the state near Philadelphia.
BTW, I just like to point out that there's an 'h' at the end of Pittsburgh. We Pittsburghers fought harrd to keep that h, so I make sure anybody not from the region knows how to spell it
(Back in the early 1900s, the USPS decided to standardize town names across the nation. This meant that Pittsburgh's h was dropped. The residents of 'Pittsburg' got all up in arms, and after a couple of years the h was restored.)

Michael Morris
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'm originally from the Pittsburgh area, but not find myself across the state near Philadelphia.
I knew there was something I liked about you Joel. As for the missing h in Pittsburg (sic) you know I have to maintain my status as top statistical misspeller at JavaRanch.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Joel McNary:

That's what I like to hear about my fellow Pittsburghers. I'm originally from the Pittsburgh area, but not find myself across the state near Philadelphia.
BTW, I just like to point out that there's an 'h' at the end of Pittsburgh. We Pittsburghers fought harrd to keep that h, so I make sure anybody not from the region knows how to spell it
(Back in the early 1900s, the USPS decided to standardize town names across the nation. This meant that Pittsburgh's h was dropped. The residents of 'Pittsburg' got all up in arms, and after a couple of years the h was restored.)

So the USPS told them to get the H out and they didn't?

Thomas Paul
mister krabs
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Probably thinking how sad it is that one of the bigger holidays in Britian is based on anti-Catholicism.

Joel McNary
Bartender
Eclipse IDE Ruby Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Paul Stevens:

So the USPS told them to get the H out and they didn't?

whippersnapper
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
JMcN:
I'm originally from the Pittsburgh area,
Where you'ns from 'pacifically?

Joel McNary
Bartender
Eclipse IDE Ruby Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
South, down near the Worsh'ntun area. Specifically, I'm from* a little town named "Eighty Four," a one-stoplight town with a multi-million dollar national company headquartered there (84 Lumber).
-------
*Well, I'm not from Eighty Four per se, but rather from the boonies surrounding it. Eighty Four just happened to be the post office serving the rural area.

Michael Matola
whippersnapper
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'm from West Brownsville, which is just down 40 from 84. Howdy, neighbor. (Ok, I don't live there any more -- I'm out in southeastern Michigan these days.) Graduated from California Area High School in 1988.

Richard Hawkes
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Thomas Paul:
Probably thinking how sad it is that one of the bigger holidays in Britian is based on anti-Catholicism.

Damn right - he was a terrorist trying to undermine 'legitimate' authority.
Besides, Halloween is pretty big in the States right? That's pretty anti-Catholic if you look at the origins trick-or-treating.
[ May 28, 2003: Message edited by: Richard Hawkes ]

Michael Morris
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Besides, Halloween is pretty big in the States right? That's pretty anti-Catholic if you look at the origins trick-or-treating.
Really? Halloween means the eve of all hallows or the night before All Saints Day. Long as I've been Catholic that's been a Holy Day of obligation. The following day, All Souls Day is one of two days in the Liturgical Year that any priest can offer three Masses, the other is Christmas Day. I'm sure that Halloween originated from some pagan rite, but the Catholics have always taken the position that if you can't beat'm, join'm by Catholocizing the celebration.

Richard Hawkes
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Really? Halloween means the eve of all hallows or the night before All Saints Day. Long as I've been Catholic that's been a Holy Day of obligation. The following day, All Souls Day is one of two days in the Liturgical Year that any priest can offer three Masses, the other is Christmas Day. I'm sure that Halloween originated from some pagan rite, but the Catholics have always taken the position that if you can't beat'm, join'm by Catholocizing the celebration.
Trick-or-treating started because of the Guy Fawkes plot. In celebration at the foiling of the gunpowder-plot, Protestants used to turn up at Catholic homes demanding food or they'd be tricked - persecuted probably.
Anyway sometime in the US (not sure when), trick-or-treat was relocated to Oct 31 and has become part of the Halloween tradition, same as in UK except we don't celebrate it so much.

Michael Morris
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
In celebration at the foiling of the gunpowder-plot, Protestants used to turn up at Catholic homes demanding food or they'd be tricked - persecuted probably.
Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware of that. Guess I need to brush up on some history.

Richard Hawkes
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Its quite amazing how holidays and celebrations have mutated throughout history and between continents. Many have lost old, and gained new meanings. I'm gonna do a Google!

Richard Hawkes
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Just found this about the gunpowder plot:
http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/gunpowder_plot_of_1605.htm
About halfway down we have a conspiracy theory! Some argue the plot was an attempt to make Catholics appear more dangerous, although the evidence is pretty slim. Interesting though, never heard it before...

Michael Morris
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Just found this about the gunpowder plot:
Man that sounds like good fodder for an Oliver Stone flick.

Marcus Green
arch rival
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I had never even heard of "trick or treating" until I was in my 20's and I was born & grew up in the UK.
Guy Fawkes Night (November 5th) has never been an actual holiday in the UK in my life time, just an excuse for bonfires, food, fireworks and a spot of effigy burning.
Marcus

Thomas Paul
mister krabs
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Richard Hawkes:
Trick-or-treating started because of the Guy Fawkes plot. In celebration at the foiling of the gunpowder-plot, Protestants used to turn up at Catholic homes demanding food or they'd be tricked - persecuted probably.

Protestants may well have done that but that is not the source of trick-or-treating. It can be traced back to the time of the Druids. During the Middle Ages, people would dress in costumes to scare evil spirits away from your house if you gave them a treat.

Richard Hawkes
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Originally posted by Thomas Paul:
Protestants may well have done that but that is not the source of trick-or-treating. It can be traced back to the time of the Druids. During the Middle Ages, people would dress in costumes to scare evil spirits away from your house if you gave them a treat.
It has a few origins, however I chose that one because you seemed to imply we're proud of persecuting catholics. All most people associate with Nov 5 is someone trying to blow up parliament and getting caught.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic