• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

a few questions

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
hello all, i am new to all of this java stuff and i am just not catching on. I am sure i would be able to understand it if i had a little bit of help. i was wondering if someone would be able to take a few minutes out of their day to answer an email or two from me. i have a few things i am working on, but i have questions to be answered before i can complete them. i would be happy to explain further if you would be interested in helping me. my email addy is guard@bright.net i just need a small amount of help i think.
thank you so much in advance
adam jones

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I think posting here would be much better since there's a lot of people here who are willing to give you useful pointers. Besides, the rest of us can benefit too.
Finally, if one person is a bit busy, others usually pick up the slack

Sheriff
Eclipse IDE Python C++ Debian Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I don't think emails would be the right way to do this. This sort of situation is why we have all these forums!
I suggest that you post each of your questions to an appropriate forum here. This has several obvious benefits over an email arrangement with just one person:
  • You can get answers and alternative solutions from lots of different prople, which will help increase the breadth of your knowledge.
  • Other beginners like you can read and learn from both the questions and the answers.
  • JavaRanch is a 24-hour, world-wide community. People can read and reply to your questions at any time. A single email correspondentmight be busy with other things and unable to reply for hours or even days at a stretch.

• We set up the JavaRanch so we can all share and learn together. Why not use it?

Adam Jones
    Greenhorn
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    they are just really stupid questions and i do not want it to come down to asking over and over again and annoying lots of people all the time....
    but hey, why not
    going from class to class....
    say i want to run one class and call a function from another class...for one of my little projects, i have to have two classes one that displays stuff and another that calculates everything. they work fine by themselves....but how do i call one from the other? i have lloked at other code and i just cannot grasp it yet...sorry for the simple question
    adam jones
    p.s. i assure you i will learn soon enough

Anthony Villanueva
    Ranch Hand
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    Hi Adam. Here's a sample code:

The Calculator class has a method that takes an int, doubles it, and returns that value. In my "public" class, I create a Calculator object and feed it with 3 to calculate. A local variable called a takes the return value.
    There is also a Printer class that has a method that takes an int and just prints it out. I create a Printer object, feed it with the value that variable a has, which it duly prints.
    There are other ways of doing this, of course.

Anthony Villanueva
    Ranch Hand
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    Hey, if anything is unclear here, just say so.

Originally posted by Adam Jones:
    they are just really stupid questions and i do not want it to come down to asking over and over again and annoying lots of people all the time....

BTW have you heard about this forum called Meaningless Drivel...

Adam Jones
    Greenhorn
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    ok, ok , ok you guys were right...just post and an answer will come....i threw the idea into my mind and i have it figured out...my program does just what i want it to...
    i am not sure why i did not get it, but i do now for the most part...i am sure i will have more questions, but i am equally sure that if i do i can post them and get a reply worth reading....thank you very much
    adam jones

Frank Carver
    Sheriff
    Eclipse IDE Python C++ Debian Java Linux
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    they are just really stupid questions
    "The only stupid question is the one which is never asked."

mister krabs
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies

Originally posted by Frank Carver:
    they are just really stupid questions
    "The only stupid question is the one which is never asked."

No! The only stupid question is the one the teacher doesn't know the answer to.

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
      Bookmark Topic Watch Topic