• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Accessing jar file in classpath

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I'm trying to use the TableExample.jar which is part of the j2sdk samples (in jdk1.4\mode\jfc\TableExample).
I downloaded the latest oracle thin driver and created a classpath statement (in Windows XP) of "c:\oracle\ojdbc14.jar".
When I try to execute (via dos command box) using: java -jar TableExample.jar, The dialog window pops up, and I enter the name, password, db url (jdbc racle:thin:@eaidev1:1527 evexe), and driver (oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver).
I get:
Cannot find the database driver classes.
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver
Can someone please tell me what I doing wrong?

Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
When you run an executable JAR file, as you are doing, the JRE ignores the system's CLASSPATH setting, and just uses the CLASSPATH specified in the manifest of the JAR file.
You could add the TableExample.jar to your CLASSPATH, and then specify the proper class with the main method in TableExample.jar to run. So, if the manifest in TableExample.jar says that Foo is the main class, then after adding TableExample.jar to your CLASSPATH, you should be able to run things with java Foo
Any luck?
[ December 31, 2003: Message edited by: Dirk Schreckmann ]

Steve Campbell
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
That fixed it. Thanks for your help!
Steve

Steve Campbell
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
This may be more appropriate for the IDE's section, but I took the TableExample Java programs from the j2sdk folders, and created a project in Eclipse. I was able to add the correct files to make it run properly in Eclipse.
My question is when I create a Jar file in Eclipse (or any IDE), would I create a reference to the external jar file containing the Oracle db drivers in the project, and try to distribute it as part of the Jar file, or, if I wanted to distribute to coworkers, would I have to modify the classpath variable on their machines for my Jar file (in addition to the Oracle Jar). I wasn't able to figure out how to add a Classpath line in the Manifest file in the Jar file using Eclipse.
How do people usually do this?
Thanks,
Steve

Dirk Schreckmann
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You don't need to adjust the system CLASSPATH settings on the machines where a JAR is to be deployed.
You'd likely want to include the dependencies inside of the distributed JAR you'd create.
Take a look at the later parts of the Creating An Executable JAR File thread for details on how to do such a thing.

Steve Campbell
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks for the info. I think I may try the Jar within a Jar.
Thanks,
Steve
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic