• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

java.lang. - is this subject still 30 characters long??

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
When i try to log on to our webservice at The University of Bergen, Norway, i get the following message:
java. lang. IllegalStateException: _ obtainOpenChannel -- com. webobjects. eoaccess. EOData
Is there anyone here, who can help me with that? I have Windows 98SE. When i tried to log on to my banks ebank, my machine froze, then i called the banks hotline, and they told me that i should go to their java download site. I turned out that i had a very old version of Java. I then downloaded MS Java; sometime ago i had downloaded Star Office v 7 from the university, and something at the back of my head told me that the Java applications included therein were Sun Java, so i asked the "supporter" at the bank hotline if the two versions woudnt be in conflict, and he assured me that they would not, because i would have to decide which one to use. How that is done, i dont know. I asked him if i could`nt install the proper Sun version instead, and he said yes, but it was much slower and heavier. Anyway, i installed the MS version, and all hell broke loose. I called them again, and another fellow told me that i would have to uninstall the Sun version, i did that, to no avail. Since then i have been back and forth, installed and deleted and reinstalled one version after the other. Now i have the latest Sun version- 1, 3,4,00, 10 or something like that. Whenever i move around on the internet, i am asked i i want to install Java Virtual Machine, but there is apparently nowhere to do that; i am being redirected to Micro Softs homepage, and then i go on to Javas homepage, but there is no download link. The Java homepage is of absolutely no help; it is a drowning pool of information, completely without any kind of systematics, and i am totally lost.. Please somebody help me! Yours sincerely Hans Christian Rasmussen PS, when i tri to paste the error message here i am told that they cannot allow something called "rununwords", so..

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Hans, welcome to JavaRanch. Man, you've had some trouble! OK, you can get the latest Java Runtime here. Just push the button in the upper right hand corner, that says "Get It Now".
I take it you're not a programmer so that will just get the runtime. If you want the SDK (Software Developer's Kit) you can get it here. Scroll down to "Download J2SE v 1.4.2_03" and select "Download" under SDK.
Whatever you do, you should go to Uninstall programs (I don't remember how to get there on '98SE) and uninstall whatever Java plugin you have there now before installing the new version. '98SE is not a very robust system and between all the installs and uninstalls you have done, there is a fair chance that your registry is really mucked up. You may need to go to uninstall and select the option on Internet Explorer to repair it to get everything right again.
Good Luck and BTW I like your name, My mother used to read me Hans Christian Andersen stories when I was a little one.
[ January 03, 2004: Message edited by: Michael Morris ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Are you Danish?

As you can probably see from my surname, somebody in my family was!

Don't ask me who though! :roll:

Hans Christian Rasmussen
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Dear Steve and Michael
Thank you so much for your kind reply! I really hope this will help. One little thing "Uninstall programs" is that the same as "Add/remove software"? Or is there a subtle difference? Sometimes when one tries to rid the computer of something, by using "Add/remove software" there is still something left. You are absolutely rigth Michael, Windows 98 is incredibly unstable; i always have to close half the applications on the taskbar to get the internet going, otherwise the machine just sits there.. Anyway i will see if i can make this work. Yes Steve, i am Danish- the Jensens are a biig family in Denmark and Norway *G* same as the Rasmussens, though i dont get any royalties from Hans Christian Andersens fairy tales*S* By the way Stewe, Keith Moon was the best rock`roll drummer ever! Have you heard The Who are getting together again for a tour and an album? I gotta run now and try if i can fix it now, thanks again, and a happy new year to you both.

Hans Christian Rasmussen
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hey it worked! I went to "Add/install software" removed the plugin, shredded it from the wastebin with "Window washer", cleared the registry with "Ace", did a Java version check in "Run" shredded the items and downloaded Java. I got asked once if i wanted to install Java Virtual Machine but after a roundtrip to Microsoft and Java i seem to have it, and i can see pictures on homepages without the annoying message coming up. I still get that error message on the university homepage, but i have an idea that it is an error on the homepage.Anyway, now i seem to have Java running properly, so thanks again*S*

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic