• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

nested vs. inner

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
hi all,
I'm wondering how I can make a choice between nested classes and inner classes, particularly when both implementation are really applicable.
Considering for the hiding, efficiency and other factors, is there any
difference between two implmentations?
Thanks for any advise
Stephen Suen

Wanderer
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
All inner classes are also considered nested. I'm guessing you're asking if it's better to use inner classes or static nested classes. I'd say that if you don't need to access an outer "this" reference then static nested is simpler, and easier for others (especially beginners) to understand. But if you have a legitimate use for an outer this reference, go ahead and use an inner class instead. In other words, use "static" in the class declaration unless and until your compiler complains, then change it if necessary.
Alternately if your (inner/nested) class is really short and simple, you might just want to declare it as an anonymous class instead - which is a kind of inner class, not static. Anonymous classes can be relatively compact, which is nice if the class is really simple.

Wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more, it's a tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic