• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Really, really stupid question

Ranch Hand
IntelliJ IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Ha, made you look.

Ok so I write a java program compile and run on unix.

Give the program to a co-worker who wants to compile in DOS. They have problems so I try and reproduce them. My problems are of a different nature though.

First I am not able to cd, in DOS, into a directory which has a space in the name. Using an "*" didn't work either. My coworker has no problems doing this.

Next I make a new directory, from within Explorer, with no spaces in the name. Back in DOS I am still not able to cd into it.

Than I create a directory from the DOS prompt, this one I am able to cd into, but Explorer doesn't show this directory?

I have been using unix for 15 years, and I can't handle two simple things in DOS. And I get paid to do this, ha!

So all of your insightfull comments are welcome. Thanks.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hahaha, I went the other way (Win$/Dos->Linux)...and I only look back when I can't avoid it.

Are you on Win98 etc? I assume you are, seeing you mention "DOS prompt". In this case, I guess the most obvious thing...are you aware of the difference between how DOS and Windows view file names? Do a 'dir' from the DOS prompt. You'll see a column that says something like "MS DOS Name", with entries like "PROGRA~1". You have to use these names to move in DOS. Dos names are 8 chars or less, with no spaces. There are probably other character restrictions I'm not aware of.

As for Explorer not showing a directory created in DOS...I dunno!

If you're on Win2k/XP, ignore me

Hope I didn't state the bleeding obvious,

--Tim

Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Which DOS are you using? Which is the co-worker using? Different ones behave differently. Did you start by choosing "Run ..." or by using the Start button? If you start DOS using "cmd", you'll get a different DOS than if you use "command".

Try cd-ing to the directory by using the first 6 letters of the dir and adding a ~1 on the end (e.g. Program Files becomes Progra~1).

As for Explorer not noticing the new dir, it happens -- sometimes even with a "refresh". Did you try to restart Explorer?

William Barnes
Ranch Hand
IntelliJ IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
That was it.
Run --> cmd
Run --> command
Two different versions of DOS (I am on XP). Thanks!

There are no more "hours", it's centi-days. They say it's better, but this tiny ad says it's stupid:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic