• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

A little direction please?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello all,

I hope this is the right forum to post this. If not please let me know.

I am currently working my way through "Java rogramming Fundamentals" by Kimberly Seefield. I expect to finish it over the weekend.

Can anyone recommend which book I should go to after that? I am looking for something a bit above beginner level but not at the advanced level. My goal is to be able to write programs that can communicate with devices over TCP/IP and RS-232. I want to get a good grasp of java programming but since this is for my job I'd like to take as direct a path as is reasonable.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Glen Scheel

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You may want to consider Mastering Java 2, J2SE 1.4 as a general book. If you want more network specific books, you can try Java Network Programming.

Ranch Hand
IntelliJ IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Vicken Karaoghlanian:
You may want to consider Mastering Java 2, J2SE 1.4 as a general book. If you want more network specific books, you can try Java Network Programming.

I would agree that if you want to get into TCP/IP based communication that that O'Reilly's Java Network Programming is a great book. One note though, Vicken's link is to the second edition of the book. The Third Edition came out this past October 2004 and covers significant updates in the 5.0 (aka 1.5) JDK. Info at Amazon and
O'Reilly's site is available.

Also take a look at the 2nd edition of the Manning publishers book, also titled Java Network Programming. While it is a bit old (published in May 1999) and based on JDK 1.2, it's fairly good in term of covering the basics. There are some sample chapters at Manning's Website.

Lastly, a good overall book on advanced Java topics is Core Java 2, Volume II: Advanced Features (7th Edition) . The 7th edition just came out this past November. More info available at
Amazon and the Prentice Hall's site. It does a nice job of giving an overview of advanced features such as MultiThreading, Database Connectivity (i.e. JDBC), networking, Remote Objects, etc. It is definitely not going to make you an expert in any of those areas, but does give you a good taste of them, form which you can dive into a book dedicated to one of those particular technologies, such as Java Network Programming.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic