• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Thinking in Java Exercise Solutions (worth it?)

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Anybody recommend completing the exercises from Thinking in Java?
Is purchasing the solutions guide worth it?

(For someone who eventually will take the SCJP exam as well as use SCJP specific study guides)

Thanks in advance...
[ January 24, 2005: Message edited by: PJ Ch ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You can read about programming in Java all you want, but it won't help you one bit until you actually sit down and write a program yourself. With this in mind, I *do* suggest that you complete SOME programming problems, whether from Thinking in Java or some other text. From the little I've read of Bruce Eckel's work, I think he is great at explaining the topics and giving clear examples. I don't know how useful you will find the solutions manual, though. If you are able to attempt the problem without looking at the answer right away, it may be a good tool to use when you get stuck. However, there are forums like those here at Java Ranch that can be just as helpful. Also, these forums may be more able to customize the information to your exact needs to help clarify the specific problems you encounter. So in my opinion, you will probably find that the solutions are only of limited use. Perhaps you should try some of the exercises before you decide to purchase the solutions manual. At least that's my recommendation.

Layne

Patrick Joseph
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Oh no...That's exactly what I meant. The solutions will only be used to check my answers afterwards. I just wanted to know firsthand how the TIJ exercises helped in improving one's understanding of Java's concepts.

Sheriff
Mac Safari Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by PJ Ch:
...I just wanted to know firsthand how the TIJ exercises helped in improving one's understanding of Java's concepts.

Absolutely! Thinking in Java was my primary text, and I worked through most of the exercises. These do take a lot of time (especially if you're new to programming), but that's where the real learning takes place.

To echo what Layne said above, I recommend trying it without the solutions manual. There are other resources that you should become accustomed to using, especially since "real life" problems don't have an answer key.
[ January 24, 2005: Message edited by: marc weber ]

No, tomorrow we rule the world! With this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic