• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Help needed with Swing tutorial

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I am trying to learn JFC using the link
http://java.sun.com/developer/onlineTraining/GUI/Swing1/index.html

But please some body advice me to use which toolkit to test and run these codes. Are there any native java open toolkit to test these Applets and Frames.

[Andrew edit: changed title]
[ March 15, 2005: Message edited by: Andrew Monkhouse ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
1) post in the correct place
2) use a descriptive title. "Help", "Doubt ASAP Pronto PLZ!!!", and similar are NOT descriptive titles.
3) learn English. Your question as worded makes no sense at all.

muthulingam Jayakanthan
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
OK Sirrrr!

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hello,

This post would probably be more appropriate in the Swing / AWT / SWT / JFace forum. Also, as Jeroen mentioned, people here at JavaRanch are more apt to answer you if using descriptive subject titles instead of just the generic "help".

author and jackaroo
Mac IntelliJ IDE Firefox Browser Oracle C++ Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi muthulingam,

I am sorry to see you getting such a negative response - this site is meant to be a friendly place for Java greenhorns.

It seems it is time to remind everyone that English is not universally spoken. Even in the countries when it is taught as a first language, there can be differences in the way it is used (contrast England vs U.S.A vs Australia idioms / spelling). Disparaging someone else's usage of the language does not help anyone and is downright unfriendly.

I have moved this topic to the Java in General (beginner) forum. The Sun Certified Java Developer forum is designed for people to talk about issues related to the SCJD assignment. I believe that as you are just starting with this, you may end up with multiple questions, not all of which are directly related with Swing - hence my moving this to the Java In General forum. I have also changed your topic title to something a little more descriptive.

To complete the tutorial you mentioned, all you need is the Java Development Toolkit (JDK) and any editor you like. You can just use the JDK and Notepad if you like . There are also many integrated development environments (IDE) which you can use - the problem with IDEs is that they tend to be (in my opinion) too helpful when you are trying to learn the language - providing shortcuts and wizards which will hide the language from you. The site where you can download the JDK also allows you to download Sun's IDE (NetBeans), and there are many other good IDEs (Eclipse, JBuilder, ...). You could look at some of the posts in the IDE's and other tools forum for more information.

Regards, Andrew

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If you want to learn swing,
i advise you go through

Java How To Program: Deitel & Deitel,(3rd Edition, Green Book Cover)

i did not like their chapters on Inheritance, Polymorphism,

but if you have some/little experience you will breeze past this book,
and before buying check

www.deitel.com for source code

they have excellent small programs in their book...

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic