• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Beginner's nightmare

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I created this program :
public class Exercise2
{
public static void main(String[] args)
{
double fahrenheit = 62.5;

/* Convert */
double celcius = f2c(fahrenheit);
System.out.println(fahrenheit + "F = " + celcius + "C");
}

double f2c(double fahr)
{
return (fahr - 32) * 5 / 9;
}

}

It does not compile stating that I cannot reference static method...
What does the error mean ?

Please help...

author and iconoclast
Mac OS X Eclipse IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Sherry,

Welcome to JavaRanch!

Without telling you anything you don't want to know yet: because main() is marked "static" (which it must be), f2c() must also be:

static double f2c(double fahr) ...

Also, a bit of business: you may not have read our naming policy on the way in. It requires that you use a full, real (sounding) first and last name for your display name. A single name isn't enough. You can change your display name here. Thanks!

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
hi sherry
if you were to declare your double fc2(double fahr) method with the static modifier then your code should work ie static double fc2(double fahr)
You are trying to call a static method (main method ) with non static method

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Sherry,

Herebelow is the correct code :

Change "double f2c(double fahr)" into "static double f2c(double fahr)"
{
return (fahr - 32) * 5 / 9;
}

Explanation :
1.Since you call the method f2c with no reference to any object then this method is linked directly to the Class ... Therefore it must be declared 'static' ...

2. If the static method f2c were declared in another class (ex. Public class Converter(){ ...) then the call to the method in the main method would be written like that :
double celcius = Converter.f2c(fahrenheit);

since f2c is declared 'static' it can be used without instantiating the class Converter ...

Cool ?

Last advice : Get Eclipse as an IDE for your developement ... it is able to detect that kind of mistake automatically !

lowercase baba
Chrome Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Don't get Eclipse, or any other IDE for you development - yet.

there's too much to learn first. Such as things like this... Eclipse might tell you "This is wrong", but you'll never understand WHY. then when things go horribly awry (as they always do), you'll really be stuck.

use a simple text editor (i like editpad lite), and then come here and ask questions. ask more questions about the answers.

for now, just take the "Make f2c static", and compile and go. in a few days (weeks, hours, whatever), you may say to yourself "Boy, i wonder why i had to do that - then come back here and ask for more info.

If you're just starting to learn the language, having to learn an IDE is NOT what you need. it will hide some of the details of the language from you, and you NEED to know those details.

Eventually you will learn a way to run your method WITHOUT declaring it static, but that will come in time.

and we're always happy to help 'round here!!!

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Sorry, off subject, but fred is right...before using an IDE, use a text editor because it's essential to learn the details that IDEs sometimes hide away from you. Also using a text editor will help ease the learning curve of learning an IDE.

Sherry Jacob
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Every1,
Thanx alot 4 all ur valuable comments and suggessions. Well, I'm using EditPlus as my java text editor. It's cool 4 a beginner I suppose.

I also got a thorough understanding of what mistake I made. I had defined the function in the class and not instantiated the class. So the function also must be defined as static coz it belongs to the class and not 2 any object of the class.

Thanx every1. I'll be back 4 more help.

Also, I have updated my name to depict my full name as told by 1 of the site administrators !!

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic