• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Reflection API

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Where the Reflection API will be useful. Give one real-time example for using reflection API.

First correct me whether I have understood the reflection API.
Reflection API is used to find out the class name, class modifiers, constructors, what inferface the class is implementing, what classes it extends and more...but finding these all at the RUNTIME.

What will be the use of finding those things at runtime?

Ranch Hand
Spring VI Editor Clojure
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Give one real-time example for using reflection API.

Javabeans.

Steve Morrow
Ranch Hand
Spring VI Editor Clojure
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

What will be the use of finding those things at runtime?

Finding these things at runtime allows the Java program to look at itself and its environment and change both accordingly and dynamically. For example, say you've written a visual GUI builder and you want to determine if a component has a setColor() method, and if so, call that method. Reflection allows exactly that.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
It also allows you to configure your program to use specific classes at runtime. For example, JDBC (Java Database Connectivity) requires a driver class that knows how to access a database. Each database (such as Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, Microsoft Access) has its own driver class associated with it. One way to configure a program that uses a database is to put the name of the JDBC driver class in a config file. The program then reads the class name from the file and uses the Reflection API to load it. Using the scheme, you can change the underlying database fairly easily by simply editing the config file. Such a change does not require you to recompile the program.

For more information on the Reflection API, you should check out this tutorial.

Layne

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I will pass your method an object. I want you to call every method with the prefix "test". Reflection will let you do that.

I will pass you an object and in the GUI I want you to display all of the properties and whether they are read-only or read-write. A property is a method starting with the prefix "get". We will assume it is read-only if there is no corresponding "set" method. Reflection will allow you do do that.
[ September 23, 2005: Message edited by: Rick O'Shay ]

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic