• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Help needed setting classpath

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi All,

I am new to servlets and JSP. I have a question regarding setting Classpath. My development directory structure is like this c:\..\desktop\java\project1\src\com\eg\web\e1.java. Servlet.jar file is in C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Tomcat 4.1\common\lib. I tried setting Classpath in windows 2000 using control panel=>System utility by this command
SET CLASSPATH=.;c:\Program Files\Apache Group\Tomcat 4.1\common\lib\servlet.jar . I try to compile my program by going into the whole development directory structure C:\..\src\com\eg\web using javac e1.java. But I get the error "package javax.servlet does not exist". Can somebody help me resolve this?

Thank You in advance
Jaya

Sheriff
Firefox Browser VI Editor Redhat
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Jaya,

This is more of a problem with javac and the setting up of a Java environment so I'm going to move it to Java In General (Beginner) where you will probably get better help.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Since the path to servlet.jar has spaces in it, you need to put quotes around the path name in your CLASSPATH variable. In otherwords, you should have

I think this will fix your problem.

Also, does your e1.java file have a package declaration? My guess is that you have something like "package com.eg.web;" at the beginning of this file. If so, then you should only change to the "c:\..\desktop\java\project1\src\" directory when you compile with javac. From there you will need to specify the rest of the path to get to the file. This will ensure that the compiler can find any other classes in the same package (or other packages) that start from this src folder.

Layne

[ January 18, 2006: Message edited by: Layne Lund ]
[ January 18, 2006: Message edited by: Layne Lund ]
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic