• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Making Java GUI code open source?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi I am a beginner to Java. I was wondering if this was possible.

Say I write a calculator applet to host on my website for other users to use. Can I make just the GUI code open source so users can modify the appearance of the applet and then save the GUI code to their usernames on the web server, so the next time they logon, the changed calculator appearance will be stored on the web server already. However, the core code should remain the same so new users who sign up won't be using some else's Calculator GUI code.

Sheriff
Mac Safari Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi stephen, welcome to JavaRanch!

Just to clarify what you mean by "open source"...
  • Are you talking about users customizing the app by selecting certain preferences (for example, picking options for background colors, button style, display style, etc.)?
  • Or are you talking about users actually re-writing the Java source code themselves?
  • The second of these is closer to what is typically meant by "open source," but I suspect that you are envisioning the first.

In any case, much of what you're describing sounds like server-side programming (e.g., servlets), which is significantly more involved than putting an applet on your website. How far along are you? Do you already have a start on this calculator applet?
    [ March 02, 2006: Message edited by: marc weber ]
      Bookmark Topic Watch Topic