• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

'java' and 'javac'

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
"'java[c]' is not reconized as an internal or external command" is the error i get and i have tryed a few things to fix that (i have j2se 1.5), first i updated the path variable, and only that one. then i tryed changing the dir in the command promt to the \bin and type "% javac" but no luck. i can run javas as long as there in the \bin file but that is a pain and i still can't compile them anyway. when i try to compile in the \bin file i come up with multible errors with simple commands like "system.out.println("hi");" please help

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You need to recheck the PATH variable. As long as you have the bin directory in your PATH, you should be able to access javac and java.

(instanceof Sidekick)
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi, welcome to the ranch! Are you in Windows or Unix? I think you used some terms from each and that may be part of the problem. See if these exercises help. That includes a link to the Sun's Classpath page. Sun's Getting Started may help, too.

Sheriff
Mac Safari Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
"computer_tom,"

Welcome to JavaRanch!

Please revise your display name to meet the JavaRanch Naming Policy. To maintain the friendly atmosphere here at the ranch, we like folks to use real (or at least real-looking) names, with a first and a last name.

You can edit your name here.

Thank you for your prompt attention, and enjoy the ranch!

-Marc

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic