• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Inheritance question

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I'm trying to create one instance of a file type (txt, jpg, doc, etc...). I have an inheritance structure that goes something like this.

abstract FileClass <- superclass

JPG DOC TXT <- (child classes)

Ignore the fact that this example doesn't seem very practical, it's more for just learning inheritance. I have a swing menu where I can select to load, or save any of these child classes.

If I load up a JPG file I want to keep track of the files name, size, and keep a File object of it. If I then click on the DOC menu and select save, I want it be able to use the file object that was created when I loaded the JPG file.

In my menu class I have a reference to the FileClass (superclass), and have methods for each menu operation (a load/save method for each subclass). The problem is each menu option creates a new subclass object with a superclass reference. So it creates a new object each time a menu option is selected, which means I lose all the information of a loaded file if I choose to save it.

Ex
menuclass

[ September 23, 2006: Message edited by: Bob Zoloman ]

author and iconoclast
Mac OS X Eclipse IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
When you're implementing an editor like this, typically each open document would be represented by an object of some kind. That object would be the "go-to object" for everything concerning that document. It would keep track of the data, the components used to display the document, etc. The application itself would keep track of a list of these document objects -- i.e., when the menus created one, they would add the object they created to that list. Then when the menu was asked to save a document, it would ask the application for the appropriate document object (i.e., the one that owns the component that's showing, let's say) and call save() on that.

So the thing you want to add to your "open" code is something like

theApplication.registerNewDocument(file);

where "registerNewDocument" adds the argument to a List for later reference.

Bob Zoloman
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Would that be like implementing an observer pattern?

Ernest Friedman-Hill
author and iconoclast
Mac OS X Eclipse IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Bob Zoloman:
Would that be like implementing an observer pattern?

That's not what I have in mind, no. All I'm saying is that the object you create in your "Open" menu item should be saved someplace, so that later, you can call save() on it. You want to make a new object each time you pick "Open", as each object represents a document, and Open creates a new document.

Bras cause cancer. And tiny ads:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic