• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Butterfly Effect

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Just finished watching the Butterfly Effect, and thouroughly (sp?) enjoyed myself. However, the following thing doesn't quite make sense. In the first run through, our boy the hero had all his limbs, he hadn't told Kayla to buzz off, hadn't given Lenny the shard, etc... But, he did get the knife to try to destroy the blockbuster, and he did talk his dad into flipping out at him. Sometimes the switch had happened, and sometimes it hadn't. Anyone out there that can account for this?

Leverager of our synergies
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
thouroughly (sp?)

Most of the time you can relay1 on Google.

Map: thouroughly?
Google: Did you mean: thoroughly?

------------
1) Embedded joke.
[ July 24, 2004: Message edited by: Mapraputa Is ]

Ranch Hand
Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
But, he did get the knife to try to destroy the blockbuster, and he did talk his dad into flipping out at him

But the outcome, if you noticed, didn't change. He went back and grabbed the knife, but then his mom found him and everything was the same. The reason he grabbed the knife may have been different. We really don't know and it's not significant.

His dad flipping out didn't really make a difference in the future either except it gave him more knowledge of what was going on and what he needed to do. It didn't change the future. We don't know if that is what happened durring the original black out spell or not. Again, it doesn't matter because he got what he needed.

Basically, returning to the past where the blackouts occurred weren't always to change something. It was just to see what he missed, or what we missed during the first part of the movie.

I personally liked the director's cut ending better than the "hollywood" ending.

Desperado
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I only saw the director's cut and I liked the principle of the main char realizing that all would be better if he had never being born. And then acting accordingly.

Nick George
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
aw... you ruined it... I was going to watch the directer's cut tomarrow...

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I think I saw the directors cut as well, I havent seen the "Hollywood" ending... anyone care to elaborate as to what the "Hollywood" ending is?

Mark

Ranch Hand
Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Mapraputa Is:
thouroughly (sp?)
Most of the time you can relay1 on Google.

or you can download dictionary from http://www.wordweb.co.uk/

Nick George
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
In the Hollywood ending, rather than going back to before his birth, he goes back to when he first met Kayla (I think that's what her name was, but I could be making that up). Essentially, he tells her to shove off, and that he hates everything about her. As a result, she stays away from him, goes with her mom, etc... Dude ends up in college with Lenny. They burn all his old journals, and the movie ends with dude walking past a grown up Kayla in the street, both kind of looking over their shoulder.

Having seen both, I think I like the Hollywood ending more... I thought the whole in utero scene to be a bit corny, and I think the final scene with Kayla, despite being a bit trite, worked pretty well.

In the hollywood version, there was no psychic scene, so there was no reason to believe that he "shouldn't be." In some ways, the Hollywood version is weaker in that respect.

Just one man's opinion.

Time is mother nature's way of keeping everything from happening at once. And this is a tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic