• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Whats is the use of making a Constructor Protected

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi

Can anyone please let me know what is the use of making a Constructor Protected. I know that if we make a Constructor private you can't instanciate that class. But if i make it Public or Protected i can still instanciate it. So what is the difference between maing a Constructor Protected instead of Public

thanks for your help in advance

thanks
Hari

author and iconoclast
Mac OS X Eclipse IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If a constructor is protected, then (outside of the package where it is defined) it can only be used by a subclass -- i.e., in a super() call.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

I know that if we make a Constructor private you can't instanciate that class.

Sure you can. A public method in a class can access private members--including private methods.

But if i make it Public or Protected i can still instanciate it. So what is the difference between maing a Constructor Protected instead of Public

A class that is not in the same package as a class that has a protected constructor cannot create objects of that class (that is assuming there is no helper method like in the above example). Or, in other words, if a class has a protected constructor, then only classes in the same package can create objects of that class.

On the other hand, if a class has a public constructor, then any class can create objects of that class.
[ October 27, 2006: Message edited by: sven studde ]

sven studde
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I have a question that came to mind when thinking about the op's question: is there any effect in declaring a method protected if the method is not a constructor or a static method? It seems to me that if the method isn't a constructor or a static method, then it will only be called with an object of the class, and therefore protected has no meaning for such a method.

Ok, I just realized there are inheritance implications: a protected method will be inherited by a subclass unlike private methods, which aren't inherited. So, that means you can override the method in the subclass and therefore polymorphism will work.
[ October 27, 2006: Message edited by: sven studde ]

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic