• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

copyright

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
This isn't a question necessarily about java but I wasn't sure where else to go with it. I'm wondering what the conventions are about using someone else's code. The code I want to use is copyrighted and I would not be using it for my own profit - purely educational. Is it okay for me to use it and if so how would I go about citing it? The code I'm interested in using can be found at http://www.cs.princeton.edu/introcs/96optimization/Knapsack.java.

Sheriff
Mac Safari Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Whether you're using it for profit has nothing to do with infringement.

The best thing to do is contact the copyright owners and ask permission. For this code, the owners appear to be listed at the bottom of this page.

On the other hand, this code looks very fundamental. See Copyright Registration for Computer Programs (Circular 61 from the United States Copyright Office), which states, "Copyright protection is not available for ideas, program logic, algorithms, systems, methods, concepts, or layouts."

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I concurr, if any question - just ask. This is classroom exercise, likely, and I am sure they would not mind if you learn from it. They would likely be complimented to have someone ask to use this for educational reasons.

The general principle, qualified by the circular cited, is ideas cannot be bound by the glacial pace of law: But if someone thought of something and wanted to let it get away unbounded ... they will so state in comments to be found somewhere in the distribution.

He's dead Jim. Grab his tricorder. I'll get his wallet and this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic