• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Bit operatation question

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi I need help understanding some code. The code is used to convert a byte to a hexadecimal.

When converting from a byte to an int why do you have to do a logical AND with 0xFF.

For example:
int i = 'A' & 0xff;

Also what will the following operation do. I know it does a right shift of 4 bits but what is the resulting. The code converts the character to hex but I am unclear as to how it does it.

(i >> 4);
(i & 0xf);

examples using bit patterns would be helpful tanx.

Java Cowboy
Android Scala IntelliJ IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

When converting from a byte to an int why do you have to do a logical AND with 0xFF.

For example:
int i = 'A' & 0xff;

First of all, in that line of code there is no conversion from a byte to an int. The 'A' is a character literal (its type is char, not byte). The 0xff is an integer literal. Also, the AND operator & is not a logical AND, it is a bitwise AND. The logical AND operator is &&.

Doing a bitwise AND with 0xff means keeping the lower 8 bits and clearing all higher bits.

About the second question: You first shift i four bits to the right and with the & operation you keep the lower 4 bits and mask the rest off.

In hexadecimal, each digit represents 4 bits in the value. Take for example the value 156 (decimal). In binary, this is: 10011100. It is easy to convert this to hexadecimal: split the binary number into groups of 4 bits: 1001 1100. Each group of 4 bits corresponds to 1 hexadecimal digit. 1001 = 9 and 1100 = C, so 156 = 10011100 = 0x9C. See this: Hexadecimal (Wikipedia)

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Young,

Doing a bitwise AND with 0xff means keeping the lower 8 bits and clearing all higher bits.

int n='A' & 0xff;

Havent understood by the above quote.
Can you explain me with some example

Regards
Kirba.

Jesper de Jong
Java Cowboy
Android Scala IntelliJ IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Look at the logic table for the AND operation:

0 & 0 = 0
0 & 1 = 0
1 & 0 = 0
1 & 1 = 1

Notice the following: The result is 1 when both bits are 1, otherwise the result is 0.

Suppose you have a value, and you want to keep the lower 8 bits of the value, and set all the other bits of the value to 0. You can do this by doing a bitwise AND operation, where you AND the value with a mask in which you set the bits you want to keep to 1, and the bits you want to clear to 0.

For example:

Note that bits 8-31 are 0 in the result, and bits 0-7 contain the lower 8 bits of the original value.

I didn't like the taste of tongue and it didn't like the taste of me. I will now try this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic