• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Europe Vacation

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi All,

I will travelling to London from India for 9 months for an onsite assignment for my current employer.

My wife is gonig to join me in couple of months during the Christmas holidays.

I was just wondering if it will be possible for us to take a samll tour of Europe during the vacation period. If Yes, what are the visa formalities. I will be travelling on Work Permit Visa for One year to UK and she (my wife) will be travelling on dependent visa.

What kind of visa will I need to travel to Europe. I read somewhere that its some common visa for all 15 Euro countries. When and Where can I apply for that visa. Is it possible to apply when in London?

Any information is welcome.

Thanks

Kailash Patel

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yup, you heard right, its called Shengen visa, here's the website: http://www.eurovisa.info/

You can apply for Shengen visa when you are in London on WorkPermit. They would expect you have your trip fully planned in advance, hotel reservations made and flights booked, and all these details and a letter from your employer (just to reassure them that you will return to London) and your latest bank statement (to show that you have enough quid�s to go around safely). You should apply to the embassy of the first country that you will enter on the trip.

Be warned, Christmas is probably one of the most expensive time of the year to travel across Europe, also you will get a lot less for your money, as there�s barely any daylight!!

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
winter, spring, summer and autumn are much more serious issues in Europe than in nearly all other parts of the world.

Last winter I've worked with a guy from near New York who complained a lot about lack of dailight in german December.

You might really consider another month for your trip. Its dark and cold. Europeans who take a trip in December go to Alpes for skiing, to south of Spain or even more remote and sunnier regions like Carribean Sea or such.

Here is website with sunrise/sunset in some spot in Germany near dutch border (I think). Switching the date fields to 15. of december you get:
sunrise: 8:06:13
sunset: 16:17:00

you'll have to hurry to see stuff in daylight.
England is even worse and Scandinavia must be 18-24 hours night.

Axel
[ September 15, 2004: Message edited by: Axel Janssen ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Axel Janssen:

you'll have to hurry to see stuff in daylight.
England is even worse and Scandinavia must be 18-24 hours night.

Indeed. Even when the sun is up we (the rain suffering Brits) don't see it because of the cloud cover. On an average cloudy winter's day you probably can't tell that the sun has risen for an hour or so after it has, especially if its raining. From when the rainy season starts (August) until it ends (July) we have pretty much complete cloud cover, apart from the odd freak day when the sun accidentally comes out and gives us a shock. During the winter months its possible to spot English people abroad because they are the people looking at the sun and saying "Huh? Where's all the grey stuff?".

This tiny ad will self destruct in five seconds.
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic