• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

How to make the simplest. hello world

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
My com keeps telling me that he can not find the file halloworld.java
I,m a beginner at this and it's realy demotivating to have to experience this with you'r first applet. Especialy when tou have been at it for a week. I have downloaded the jdk. Named the code I have made of hello world with notepad helloworld.java. Saved it. And placed it in my documents. So why does he say that he can not find it ??? So so frustrating. Please help.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by da.igor da.babiouk:
Named the code I have made of hello world with notepad helloworld.java. Saved it. And placed it in my documents. So why does he say that he can not find it ??? So so frustrating. Please help.

Hey you might have saved it as a text document while saving in notepad in the "save as type" field select All Files or remove *.txt from extention

Prateek

lowercase baba
Chrome Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
are you having problems compiling (javac) or running(java) it? Make sure you have the case of the filename EXACTLY match the case inside the file. in other words, if you have in your code:

you must have the file named "HelloWorld.java". It will not work if you have "helloWorld.java" or anything else. also, make sure you are spelling it right - in your post, you called it "halloworld.java".

These little details matter in Java.

Java Cowboy
Android Scala IntelliJ IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Try following "Hello World!" for Microsoft Windows from Sun's Java Tutorial. Follow it exactly to the letter, step by step. Note that you must be careful and do it precisely correct; Java is case-sensitive, so "HelloWorld" is not the same as "helloworld" or "halloworld".

A note about your display name "da.igor da.babiouk": We have a policy on display names here on JavaRanch. We want users to use a real-sounding name, not an obviously fake nickname or other strange looking names. Please edit your display name. You can do that by editing your profile.

Ranch Hand
Mac MySQL Database Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Welcome to JavaRanch, da.igor da.babiouk and Prateek Patil

da.igor da.babiouk , please change your display name as Jesper Young suggested.

Get off me! Here, read this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic