• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

6GB data as String

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Can I hold 6 GB of data in a String? How much stuff can a string hold? My hands are tied I don't have any other options at this time than passing data as string at this time. I am dealing with vendor code.

author and iconoclast
Mac OS X Eclipse IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Many 32-bit Java implementations limit the Java heap to under 2GB, and so to even get that much data in memory, you'd need a 64-bit machine and a 64-bit JVM. Unfortunately, even then, because String is implemented using a char[], and Java array indices are ints, I believe Integer.MAX_VALUE is the greatest number of characters a String can store -- i.e., about 2 billion characters (or 4GB of data, since a char is two bytes.)

Rancher
Android Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Ernest++

author
jQuery Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser VI Editor C++ Chrome Java Linux Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I believe that there is an earlier limit. Not sure if this has been fixed in the latest JVM, but there is a 2 gig limit per object -- so a char[] can only be 2 gig is size.

Henry

Wanderer
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Either way though, INTEGER_MAX is the largest number of elements any array can have, and that's definite. So 4GB is the largest any char[] array could ever be, regardless of possible bug fixes that may or may not affect a lower limit. A 6 GB string will never be possible.

David O'Meara
Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
1.5 Gb for jdk 1.3, but still limitted to 2.0Gb for Windows unless you run Server 2003 or later, last time I checked.

I still don't think it changes the fact that you'll have trouble getting 6Gb into memory. You could store it as a huge compressed byte array, but is this really an improvement?

Rancher
Mac OS X VI Editor Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
What do you mean "hands are tied".
In general 6GB of anything in memory is a bad idea.

I just paid $6000 for a server with 12GB of RAM, but even on that, I would not try to load 6GB into memory.

May I ask why you want it in a String? if its raw binary data, a byte[] would make more sense, and be only half the size.

But a better design would be to read a portion of it, say 100KB and process the chunks.

David O'Meara
Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yes you have 12Gb of RAM, but you won't be able to get a single Java process to see all of that at once. I'm not sure where 'half the size' comes from, but if it isn't stored as a String (eg huffman codes) it can still be streamed but you won't be able to do simple String operations on it. This is where I was asking whether simply getting it into memory is an improvement.

Adam Teg
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks to all. But to answer Pat's question, I can't read the file in chunks because I need to pass the entire file to the vendor code so that it can do some minipulations on it. But 2 GB should be fine. I was just running some tests and woundered how much will blow things up.

-Thanks again

Henry Wong
author
jQuery Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser VI Editor C++ Chrome Java Linux Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Also, keep in mind that it is likely that your vendor code doesn't expect a 2 gig string, when it was coded. A few operations like concats, upcases, trims, etc. are all it takes to fill up your heap.

Henry

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic