• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

help with this code// constractors

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
public class Person {

private String name;
private String surname;
private String address;
private String username;
private String email;
private int password;

public Person() // I want to initialz this to defaults without having to retype everything...I can use the this keyword, just don't know how
{

}
public Person() // this one initialz these values that I wil get from the main method, even if the user doesn't supply all the arguments, as long as more than one argument is supplied
{

}

Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Your no-argument constructor is not going to be very useful. You do realise that the fields are already initialised to default values; 0 for the int, and null for all the objects (Strings).
You don't need to use the keyword this yet. All you have to do is to set values for each of the fields in the constructor.
You will of course end up with a lot of people who all have the same name email and password!

A constructor with one argument is not a lot better. You can only initialise those fields which have information passed to them. You can't initialise name and expect your constructor to pick up an email address or a password from anywhere. So, if you have a one-argument constructor you can set whichever field that value applies to.

There is an example of a constructor here, in the Java Tutorial. Note that the names of the parameters are slightly different from the names of the fields, so you don't need to write this.
You can pass all the arguments as command-line arguments to the main method, but it will make for a long invocation. You could also have some sort of code in your constructor which asks the user to enter the other values. Maybe like this:-I don't think your second request is feasible.

Campbell Ritchie
Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thank you for the PM. It would have been better to post some of that code on the forum, so everybody can see your solution.

As for the toString() method, you might have something like thisThat is one of several possible ways to organise a toString method. I haven't looked at the rest of the code in detail, but it looks OK just on a 3-second glance.

mooooooo ..... tiny ad ....
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic