• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

What are the uses and applications of Java?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
What are the uses and applications of Java?Please tell it in the view of a beginners mind who knows hardly anything about java and wants to learn Java right from the scratch?

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Java is a general purpose language. It is used equally well for desktop applications, client-server applications, web applications, embedded applications etc. pp.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I think Java is a verry power full language. Because Java can do so many things comparing other programing languages. Some are web development, mobile phone applications and softwares,programing robotes.etc..Gd By...........

Ranch Hand
Scala Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
IMO, Preuss is correct.
But there's more... the API of Java allows you to reuse code. That way, you don't have to write a lot of things (like GUIs, Lists, Threads...).

IMO, it's a C++ more documented and there's no manipulation low level of the hardware. I mean... what is better than that for someone that don't want to worry about pointers and meemory allocations? It's the best!

I'm a programmer of C++ and Java: in C++ I build my applications that demand speed. In Java I wrote apps of all kind but those that need a very serious speed.

Sorry for my english.

Sheriff
Firefox Browser VI Editor Redhat
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
"Deba",
Please check your private messages.

author
jQuery Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser VI Editor C++ Chrome Java Linux Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

I'm a programmer of C++ and Java: in C++ I build my applications that demand speed. In Java I wrote apps of all kind but those that need a very serious speed.

I have to disagree here.

If the program is short -- then I would agree. An optimized C++ program will outperforme a Java program.

However, Java uses a JIT compiler, which (for Hotspot) keeps tracks of usage, and reoptimizes as needed. So for JVM that runs a long time, the classes will become very optimized, to the point of outperforming C++.

For Servlets, EJBs, web services, portlets, mbeans, and other Java components that run in application servers, they can be in usage (running in a JVM) for months.

Henry

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
At the risk of over-generalization, I'd say that Java has made its biggest impact as a language used to create medium to large scale websites. It can be used for desktop applications and for cell phone applications, and other devices, and we hope those uses will grow, but Java's biggest impact seems to have been in the arena of the server side.

As far as small websites go, Java is used there too, but it might face stiff competition from simpler approaches like Ruby on Rails.

I would further venture that Java's big strength is that it's taken a very pragmatic approach to OO - it's not as "pure" as a language like SmallTalk, but it takes advantage of most of the benefits of OO without being obscure. In a nutshell, I'd say it's a great language when you have a large team of developers and you need to be able to maintain large amounts of code. It's readable, debuggable, and maintainable.

Andre Brito
Ranch Hand
Scala Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Henry...
I guess I missunderstood you. I'm not trying to create flamewars... never.
And I'm not saying that C++ is better than Java. You're not the first that disagree with me and I guess that you're probably right, because I'm programmer student since 2007. So, I can't say for sure that I'm right or wrong.

But I'd like that you explain me why is that. I mean... I preffer Java. I really do. But in Marathons and competitions here in Brazil, C++ is the most used, and then C and then Java. IMO, Java is for everything. But I don't want to take the risk of use Java in a competition and get "killed", you know what I mean?

Please, I really aprecciate if you could explain a little more for me.

Hugs.

EDIT:

BTW, Servlets, Web Services, EJB and Business things I can't imagine other thing better than Java. I'll try Ruby in 1 or 2 years, but I want to be good in Java. Then, I'll learn other framework (or whatever, don't know the name).
[ January 26, 2008: Message edited by: Andre Brito ]

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Dear Debra,

there is a lot of talking about how great java is, and how "platform independence" is fabulous, and bla bla bla.

Everything that can be done in java can be done in c++ (the difference is that the c++ software will have a performance a thousand times greater).

[Edit: not-so-nice portions removed]
[ January 26, 2008: Message edited by: Bear Bibeault ]

Henry Wong
author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Andre: I'm not trying to create flamewars... never.

Well, I guess there will always be people that want flame wars -- especially with statements like this.

Joselito: Everything that can be done in java can be done in c++ (the difference is that the c++ software will have a performance a thousand times greater).

The Java versus C++ story isn't as black and white anymore. Java started meeting and in many cases passing C++ around 2004. Much of it has to do with the newers JITs, particularly the "dynamic recompilation" capability of the JIT.

Java 5 and 6 added a ton of optimizations -- removing many of the synchronization bottlenecks and many GC optimations are coming down the pike too.

While there will always be programs in C++ that are faster -- particularly those that are short lived. I wouldn't always assume that C++ is faster anymore.

Henry

Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Oracle Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The only thing I am not sure if it(JEE) provides the same speed of development as .Net. Also, Java is so OPEN and there are so many concepts and patterns floating around and evolving at a pace faster than you can imagine, at times it could just be overwhelming.

Henry Wong
author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Slight hijack... apologies...

Originally posted by Abhinav Srivastava:
The only thing I am not sure if it(JEE) provides the same speed of development as .Net.

This is definitely a religion argument, so take with a grain of salt. I am a massive fan of Microsoft Visual Studio. When I did C++ development in the early to mid 90's, it was definitely my favorite IDE.

I have recently tried it again for .Net. And quite frankly, I didn't like it for C++. It isn't that it was bad, it just felt that not much has changed.... and .... the C# tools in Visual Studio were just much much better. If you are going to develop in .Net, then Visual Studio and C# is the way to go -- but I digress.

Does that mean that .Net is better than JEE for speed of development? I am not sure. With JEE, you have more choices, so you are more likely to find an IDE that you would like. On the other hand, Visual Studio is really good, so I can go either way with this question.

Henry

Andre Brito
Ranch Hand
Scala Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Henry Wong:

The Java versus C++ story isn't as black and white anymore. Java started meeting and in many cases passing C++ around 2004. Much of it has to do with the newers JITs, particularly the "dynamic recompilation" capability of the JIT.

Java 5 and 6 added a ton of optimizations -- removing many of the synchronization bottlenecks and many GC optimations are coming down the pike too.

While there will always be programs in C++ that are faster -- particularly those that are short lived. I wouldn't always assume that C++ is faster anymore.

Henry

Henry,
I'm sorry if I said something wrong or that you did not liked.

Now,
A lot of people said to me: "If you're going to make software (mean durable software) don't use C++. For a thousand of reasons, like memory leaks, control of objects and more things. Well... I didn't understand all of it, 'cause I'm just a student. But I can't imagine myself coding pointers and memory allocations in C for making a huge software (web services or client/server). C++ it's new for me... I'm just using it in competitions and marathons here in Brazil and in TopCoder.com.
If somebody asks me for code a huge application, and say: "You have 2 choices: C++ or Java", I wouldn't think twice and I'd pick Java.

And are there people that say that Java is slow? Well... I didn't mean that. Actually I believe that the person that said that are a little bit late in time (I don't know how to say it, like doesn't read new things and notices). Java, at 1.2, 1.3 was slow. But now, with partially 1.4 and 5 and 6... damn! It's fast and CORE (coding once run everywhere, it's not that, it's other letters, I'm sorry, I can't remember).

I'm sorry anything.

Henry Wong
author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

I'm sorry if I said something wrong or that you did not liked.

Andre, You didn't say anything wrong. You didn't say anything that I didn't like. There is certainly nothing to apologize for.

You merely expressed your opinion -- a part of which that I disagreed with. And I just merely express my counter opinion. I didn't expect to change you mind, and I definitely didn't expect the reaction that I got...

Anyway, the thing about computer languages is that it is merely a tool. You should learn both Java and C++. You should get highly experienced in both Java and C++. It is not that I don't have an opinion that one will win over the other...

In fact, in my opinion, in another decade, there will probably be another new language as the front runner. And the more languages that you are experienced with, the more likely that you will be able to adapt to this new language.

Henry

lowercase baba
Chrome Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I still say that arguing which language is better is like arguing if a hammer is better than a screwdriver. Each is a tool. Each has strengths the other doesn't each has weaknesses the other doesn't.

of course anything you can do in java you can do in c++. And vice versa. it's just that some things are easier in one language or the other.

Andre Brito
Ranch Hand
Scala Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Henry,

Now I got you
Thanks.

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.