• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Display tables from web page

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi guys I am doing a web project where I need to parse the html code find the largest table in terms of width attribute and display only that table taking care of nested tables in a web page. Below is my code which finds the largest table but it gives error while displaying the largest table please help me with the program as I am new to java.

Looking forward for your help as I amnot very good at string programkming in java.Please help me out guys as early as possible. Looking forward for your help

[edit]Add code tags. CR[/edit]
[ July 02, 2008: Message edited by: Campbell Ritchie ]

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
A few thoughts to help you (I hope):
  • You mention needing to take care of nested tables but not how: do you want to include nested tables in your results or not?
  • If you want to use regex then it may help you considerably, but you can help yourself further by incorporating as much as possible into a single pattern. Think about how you might be able to capture an entire <table ... width="xxx" ...> start tag in order to determine the width straight away in one invocation (hint: use capturing groups for the "xxx"). Once you've done this, your only challenge is to address the first point above (hint: keep a counter of open table tags going - increment on each start tag and decrement on each closing table tag).

•  
    Marshal
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    Welcome to JavaRanch

I have edited your post to add "code" tags; you can see how much easier the code is to read. You can add them yourself in subsequent posts with the buttons beneath the "message" window.

Charles Lyons
    Author
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    Thanks Campbell - now I can actually read the code

It seems as though you already have the counter for start tags (your variable "start"). Let me help you with the regex:Now that code will match every occurrence of an opening <table> tag (make sure you understand why it works!). So you just need to incorporate some code in the loop to take account of nested tables and ignore or extract them, and also the code to extract all the lines of text between matching start and end tags (hint: you can adapt the regex above and tell it to use MULTILINE mode).
    [ July 03, 2008: Message edited by: Charles Lyons ]

Sasparilla and fresh horses for all my men! You will see to it, won't you tiny ad?
    a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
    https://gardener-gift.com
      Bookmark Topic Watch Topic